Gator Grain- V1G

-

72bluNblu

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
How rare is the gator grain vinyl top as an A-body option? I suppose as a secondary question, did the V1G code still represent a gator grain vinyl top for a '74 Dart Swinger?

Thanks!:-D

Interesting. I was pretty sure gator grain was only offered in '70 and '71, but I'm no fender tag guru. To be honest, it looks more like the car never had a vinyl top at all...

My 70 tag has a V1X code, anyone no what that is??
V1 is for Vinyl top, The last number or letter is color. Hers the list from Mymopar

A- Gunmetal
B- Blue
C- Black Alligator
F - Green
G - Black Gator Grain
G in 1970 - Gator grain vinyl top

G in 1972 - Mock turtle vinyl top

G in 1974 - Green vinyl top
H - Green Floral (Mod Top 1969 Dart/Coronet Only)
J - Walnut Pattern (1970 Only)
J - Paisley (1971 Only)
K - Walnut
L - Champagne
L - Parchment
M - Burgundy
P - Yellow Floral (Mod Top 1969 Barracuda Only)
P - Mod Yellow (Mod Top 1970 Barracuda Only)
Q - Blue and Green Floral (Mod Top 1969 Satellite Only)
Q - Mod Blue (Mod Top 1970 Barracuda Only)
T - Tan
W - White
X - Black
Y - Gold and Green Floral (Mod Top 1969 Barracuda Only)
Y - Gold
Y - Tortoise Grain
9 - Special Order (V19=Black on Superbird)

Yes they had snake skin on A's.I think all the ones I have ever seen were on Dusters. Jim

My sister had a 76 Valiant, i think it may have had it. It had a god awful color green textured vinyl roof along with the same green matching interior. YUCK.

V1G in 1970 - Gator grain vinyl top

V1G in 1972 - Mock turtle vinyl top

V1G in 1974 - Green vinyl top

Anybody have a picture of an Abody with the gator grain.
Also wouldl love to see the snake skin. Can't say I have ever seen that.

Here is a tortoise grain on a 70.

tortoise grain vinyl1970.jpg

legendary has pictures of order books from 69 up with pics of gator, turtle ,mod but I didn't see snake the pica also show what cars you could order what tops for and I didn't notice any early abodies for other than the blue and yellow mod tops , if I remember the turtle was plymouth and the gator was dodge I'm going to go look again now

I just looked again and it looks like the turtle was for the fury only and the gator was for the coronet.charger, challenger ,the book shows NA for the dart to bad I was thinking of a gator top for my 69 barracuda , just to be different - a local guy put one on his charger and it looks sweet . I wonder if they would fab one up for me from the patterns they have for regular vinyl ? for something less than a first born male child

ps they are now also offering something they are calling Boar skin never heard of that on a car

My brother has a 1970 Challenger T/A that is a original Gator grain top car.
Gator grain very rare on any car.
Jim

You could get the gator grain on 70 barracuda's also.

I still havn't seen any snake skins before. Would love a pic, someone??

Thanks for the picture of the snake skin. That is really pretty cool. Do you know of any other pics?

I know a guy with a 70 satellite, blue, with the gator grain. He has no more than 4000 miles on his car. Purchased it new here in this town. Sits in a garage.

-
Back