Gauge Cluster. Help

-

FlyingFalcon

Reaction score
Hey FABO. Recently a member here gave me a gauge Custer he had laying around (super nice of him). Today I tore into it. Its out of a 1973 car. Duster maybe? Anyways it needs some work.

Current dilemma:
DcWdIcm.jpg

These two screws are won't come out. The plastic part holding them in broke. I don't wanna pull it and break it more. Any suggestions?

Cameron, do you have a Dremel or a die grinder you can grind the heads of them off?

Cameron, do you have a Dremel or a die grinder you can grind the heads of them off?

I do. May end up having to do this. Was trying to see if there was a way to get them out without doing this. They spin freely when I went to take them out, but that's all.

Other than trying to grab the plastic piece through one of the holes with a set of curved needle nose pliers, grinding the heads is probably your only option.

Other than trying to grab the plastic piece through one of the holes with a set of curved needle nose pliers, grinding the heads is probably your only option.

Will try this in the morning. Will probably end up grinding them off.

I'm not understanding. If the plastic with the screw in it is broken away from the rest of the plastic it should come apart after all the other screws are removed. Then you'll have access to hold that piece f plastic with pliers. If the screws are stripped in the plastic holes some pressure between the parts while turning should help coax the threads.

I'm not understanding. If the plastic with the screw in it is broken away from the rest of the plastic it should come apart after all the other screws are removed. Then you'll have access to hold that piece f plastic with pliers. If the screws are stripped in the plastic holes some pressure between the parts while turning should help coax the threads.

I see what you mean now. Any idea what else could be holding it together? These are the only two screws left, so I assumed that these were the culprits.

Wiper switch and headlight switch removed ? Maybe someone put some silicone or other adhesive between the bezel and housing. Maybe the foam gaskets inside were replaced with material that is adhesive both sides.

Wiper switch and headlight switch removed ? Maybe someone put some silicone or other adhesive between the bezel and housing. Maybe the foam gaskets inside were replaced with material that is adhesive both sides.

Has to be these. I wasn't sure how to remove them as there were no screws. I didn't want to go pulling on anything too hard because the plastic is already cracked in one place. Try to not break it more

-
Back