Gauge Clusters

-

ValiantK360

Reaction score
I have always thought gauges were fascinating for some reason. Every car has a unique setup and it's just cool to see all the different ones out there. The ones I posted are from my 1986 Nissan 300ZX, which are all digital (not necessarily the mostly reliable at times due to the age and early technology from when they came out). The tachometer works on an X and Y axis: the X-axis represents the RPMs of the car (that single bright green bar), but the Y-axis measures the amount of throttle you are giving the car (the bars rise up all the way to the top when I step on it :D). Then the other two gauges are a G-meter/instantaneous MPG and a compass (those two never work right lol). Pretty cool technology, especially from the 1980s. Post up those gauge cluster pictures from your car!

Attachments

• Snapchat-2182290433168414807.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Snapchat-5947483128672639117.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 195
Frankly, I prefer simple easy to read gauges. NONE of the more modern stuff is in my opinion, at least that I've seen. My 97 Dodge and my 98 Ranger both have the hated "symbols" (icons) instead of WORDS like OIL and TEMP

The other day I changed the oil in the Ranger. Got in and started it up, and could NOT figure out why the damn oil pressure was not coming up. Looking at the temp gauge

I HATE ICONS!!!!

!!!WHAT!!! Do I rub it? Does a genie come out??

Low_Oil_Lamp_Red.jpg

Frankly, I prefer simple easy to read gauges. NONE of the more modern stuff is in my opinion, at least that I've seen. My 97 Dodge and my 98 Ranger both have the hated "symbols" (icons) instead of WORDS like OIL and TEMP

The other day I changed the oil in the Ranger. Got in and started it up, and could NOT figure out why the damn oil pressure was not coming up. Looking at the temp gauge

I HATE ICONS!!!!

!!!WHAT!!! Do I rub it? Does a genie come out??

Low_Oil_Lamp_Red.jpg

that was good about the genie -lol

I like haveing gauges over "idiot lights"..

One of my college professors had some great advice on gauges;

You want to pick a gauge that has a 270° sweep over one that only has a 90° sweep as it will be more accurate since it has a wider range of sweep for the needle...

A gauge is most accurate in the center of it's sweep. Meaning it is the most accurate at 50% +/- 25% (In the middle) and is less accurate at the beginning and end 25% of travel... Try to pick a gauge where it will read in the center of it's sweep for what you are measuring...

When I hook up aftermarket gauges under the dash, I like to use the circuit with the orange wires for the gauge lights so they can brighten and dim with the dash gauges...

I like haveing gauges over "idiot lights".. .

As usual "I have a story" and I never have been paid, either

In the eighties, a divorcee a friend of mine and I knew, had her husbands RS 'Maro. Full gauges. Evidently the water pump started to leak, and at some point it leaked enough that it overheated. The gauge made no impression on the female driver. So she just drove it until it would not run. For the record, she's a redhead.

So she enlisted me "for money" to figure out what to do.

The orange paint on the ends of the cylinder heads was COOKED BLACK

I got the engine out, and it had coolant in more than one hole. I pulled the heads. Ever over--heated tempered steel and watched the pretty colored rainbow in the metal? yeh......That's how the cylinder walls looked.

So I TOLD here there is NO WAY I'd rebuild that engine.......either find a good used engine, or buy a rebuilt.

She found a used engine, made arraingements and as it was up in my home town, I went up and got it one weekend, visiting my parents. I didn't get paid for THAT extra work, EITHER.

So this is in the eighties. No www. I guess this second engine was a 400 I put it in the car and it shook and it USED OIL.

NOW IT's MY FAULT. IT'S MY FAULT that SHE found a USED ENGINE that was WORE OUT and now that I've put it in the car IT'S MY FAULT.

So I said "FINE" you go talk to the guy you bought that engine from.

She calls me back. "There's nothing wrong with my old engine!!! He can rebuild it!!!!!"

I told her "FINE!!! Don't you COME BACK to me a year from now, CRYING that your rebuilt engine is burning lots of oil.

So OK. About a year goes by, more or less. Her friend "Herbie" came in one day, he can barely stand up he's laughing so hard!!!!

"Just saw XXXXXX's Camaro. It's got a cloud behind it so big you won't believe it!!!!"

-
Back