Gauge scale-What are they saying?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
Does any one know what the scale of late 60`s gauges are that are simply labeled with dashes and no numbers? (Oil,temp,and volts.)For example ,does my oil pressure gauge read 0- 60, 75, 90? Temp , 0- ?. I have a 68 Barracuda and would like to rely on my factory gauges if at all possible,but I have no idea what they`re really saying.

They are purposely vague and inaccurate, but generally consistent (so once you know your car..........)

I guess you can put the sender in some really hot water somehow. put a thermometer in the water and see about where it is on the stock gauge..thats about all you can do i think.

-Mike

My temperature gauge goes to about 7/8 of the scale when the 180 degree thermostat opens and brings it down to just over half. At hot idle I`ve got about 50 lbs. of oil pressure (measured mechanically)and the factory gauge reads just under half way.I have to agree with Jim, these gauges are vague,unreliable,are probably never the same in any two cars, and are only there in case the !@#$%^ really hits the fan. Now that I`ve measured the engines normal conditions with other mechanical gauges ,I have a good idea as to where they should be and will only use them as a benchmark.

-
Back