Gauge Trouble

-

hippy 60

Reaction score
I switched my 63 Valiant to the newer style alternator and regulator and now all my gauges go plum over to the right ,It a 273 now and was wondering if anybody had that problem.Thanks for any help.

Did you do anything under the dash at the same time?

sounds like your IVR is stuck in the closed position giving full 12V to the instruments.

Just to be sure in 63 it was a 12v system?

Did you do anything under the dash at the same time?

sounds like your IVR is stuck in the closed position giving full 12V to the instruments.

Just to be sure in 63 it was a 12v system?
Yea it was a 12 volt system where is the IRV located

My exp is with 67 and up. But it would be on the back of the cluster or perhaps internal to the fuel gauge.

Easy check would be to measure voltage at the posts on the back of the cluster, should be around 5 volts or so. I would not leave the gauges pinned for more than a moment or two as the heating elements in the gauges can over heat and do permanant damage to the gauges

My exp is with 67 and up. But it would be on the back of the cluster or perhaps internal to the fuel gauge.

Easy check would be to measure voltage at the posts on the back of the cluster, should be around 5 volts or so. I would not leave the gauges pinned for more than a moment or two as the heating elements in the gauges can over heat and do permanant damage to the gauges
That the way with me i have alway's had 70s car this is the first 60 model i have worked on and the only thing on the back of the cluster is a condenser think i might have it hook to the wrong post on the cluster.

Post some pics. Front and rear of the cluster

Last edited:
-
Back