Gauges electric vrs mechanical

-

kocuda

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering all new Auto Meter Phantom gauges for my cuda.
What I need some input on is which to go with mechanical or electric. I'm leaning toward electric, is there any advantage to mechanical other than they are less expensive?

The first time you have a line from an oil pressure gauge split and pump hot oil inside your car, you will wish you had electric gauges.

Live gauges are generally more accurate but can be a headache. Live oil pressure gauges can squirt oil EVERYWHERE if the line ruptures. I've seen them cause fires at worst senerio and a mess inside the car a least.
A live water temp gauge has a tiny copper tube filled with nitrogen. A severe kink or crack in that tube equals dead gauge.

Mechanical with braided steel lines. WILL NEVER LEAK like plastic, copper. Trust me, this is the best way to go. I personally can't stand electric oil/water gauges. Especially 90* sweep, its gotta be 270* sweep.

If you want to be certain of what your oil press. and water temp. are then mechanical guages are the way to go. There are a few drawbacks like routing and copper over braided, and yes do not kink the capillary tube on the temp. probe, but in the end since I like to be certain that's what I use.

Terry

The biggest visual difference is mechnical gauges typically have a 270 degree sweep and electric have a 90 degree sweep (I like the 270 sweep). BUT, there are electric gauges available now with the 270 degree sweep.

Its typcally easier to install electric guages, much simpler to run wires from the interior to the engine compartment.

In the 30+ years I have been working on cars I have never seen an oil line fail on a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Ever car I have ever had that didn't come with gauges got them and they were always mechanical for oil. As long as you are careful with the routing and keep the lines away from exhaust they are just fine.

Mechanical are more accurate, but electric are easier to install. I use mechanical with braided line. JMO

-
Back