gear box and coupling question

-

unknownsnake

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good company that sell gear boxes? I replaced mine 3 years ago and I took to shop to get alignment and they said it was way to tight. I am having issues with steering sticking wear I leave it. I am steering it none stop and alignment went with no problem all one. Also has anyone made a different design for the coupling seal that goes on top? I replace it twice couldn't get it to stay on, replaced it again and put this wire setup on to hold it in place but doesn't hold coupling on shaft tight at all.

Also something was brought up about Manuel steering box's with lower gears to be more road friendly?

Do you have manual or power steering? That wire coupler seal holder is just to keep it closed it doesn't support or have anything to do with the movement of it. Have you inspected the shoes and the inside of the coupler for wear?

I have power steering right now. I replaced coupler and all the parts inside last year

first I would make sure it's the box, disconnect the pitman arm and make sure the wheels turn free Right to left, if not you might have a ball joint binding or the idler arm, if it's the power steering box, the only thing you can adjust is the sector shaft. there is a 3/16 allen with a 5/8 nut on top loosen the nut and back out the screw 1 full turn and tighten the nut and see if it is better.

Steer and gear p/n 2111 replaces the factory style coupler seal with a one piece. Also Detroit Muscle Technologies has a kit with the wire clip to help retain the seal

Mopar A B E Body 66-72 Steering Column Coupler Stainless Cover, Black Seal & Clamp / Retainer 3"

As far as the binding. I'm not saying this is your problem, but there is an adjustment in the factory service manual for the coupler.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You'll have to go here steerandgear and scroll down the page to p/n 2111. I believe this will help you on the seal. If the coupler shoes are too far engaged in the housing it can cause binding. With that said it's easy enough to verify. But given the quality of parts like ball joints etc nothing would surprise me.

Firmfeel!
Don't wate your money on parts store remans like Cardone.
I sent my Cardone to Firmfeel as a core, it was that bad.

yep defiantly the steering box. I disconnected the pitman arm and I cant budge the pitman arm to go back and fourth. Another 1600 mile junk part :-/

Firmfeel!
Don't wate your money on parts store remans like Cardone.
I sent my Cardone to Firmfeel as a core, it was that bad.
I agree. I was a parts store manager once, and I can tell you that most Cardone rebuilds consist of a good cleanup, new gaskets and seals, paint, and replacing ONLY things that are badly broken/cracked. I replaced the sloppy PS steering box in my 69 Barracuda with a Cardone reman, and there was NO improvement. I am seriously considering switching over to a new manual box.

Somewhere I have a Cop box that I bought brand new while I was working for a Chrysler dealer in the 80's...
It cost $300 back then and really had a great feel to it.

First off, trying to crank the pitman arm takes a lot of power. You are trying to move hydraulic fluid through the box and pump. This is a terrible test.
Secondly, the sector shaft end-play adjustment has to be done in a very specific way.If it is adjusted in any other position but with it centered in the box, it will be too tight.Don't be afraid to run this adjustment a bit loose.
Thirdly, it is far more likely that something else is binding, than the P/S box. There are at least 10 pivots in that system that can cause trouble. The biggest offenders are the lower BJs and a poorly installed idler arm.

So get the wheels off the ground, jackstands or blocks under the lower control arms. Pop the pitman arm loose. Grab the left front tire at 3 and 9, and steer it left and right. It should practically flop over by itself. Do same on passenger side. This side still has the idler arm installed so it will offer more resistance. Take note of the force required. Loosen the idler-arm pinch-bolt and retest. It should now flop over like the first side.
Next pop the idler out of its cradle and let it fall. Then test every tie-rod end.Next test the pivots of the two arms that are attached to the centerlink. All these pivot points should be relatively the same free with no obvious endplays.
Finally, go to the steering box, where the column attaches. Grab the coupler, and rotate it as far as it will go in each direction, there should be 3.5 turns total. It should be easy to turn at all points, but easiest at the furthest from center. If it sticks going through the center, then the sector shaft endplay is too tight. Fix it. If it is hard to turn, no matter what, disconnect the hi-pressure hose from the pump and point it down into a container. Yes the pump will drain so put a pan under it.This is gonna get messy so get used to the idea. Now turn that coupler again; WATCH it!, fluid is gonna come gushing out of that hose, make sure the hose stays in the container. Pump it all out this way, turning the coupler this way and that. Now any resistance in that box, after it is empty, and after you have
properly adjusted the sector-shaft end play,means the box has a problem. And I don't know what it could be. I have rebuilt and modded several boxes, and have never seen one tight.Everything inside there was designed to be easy to turn. The only thing I can imagine to be tight in there is the sector-shaft bearingsBut they are needle rollers, so then that kinda leads me to believe the shaft is bent.If your bearings are in fact tight, the box is no good. But before you condemn it, loosen off all three mounting bolts and try it again one last time. If it is still tight throw it away. Happy hunting,lol,wear eye protection.
Oh, I almost forgot; if you found that when you loosened the idler arm pinch-bolt, it got easy to turn the passenger wheel, then there is an issue there.It could be one of two things; a) the spacer sleeve is too tight in its bore, or 2) it is too short, and the pinch-bolt is clamping more than just the sleeve. Find out which it is and correct it. It should offer some resistance to turning, but not much, and no play.

I worked nearly six years as an alignment tec. I have seen a lot of tight BJs do this. When the BJ gets tight, the Chrysler over-boosted box does it's thing really well. To correct the direction that car is travelling in, you turn the steering wheel. But the wheels don't steer right away, cuz the Bj is tight. So you steer a bit more.This causes the box to apply boost, and then the joint finally breaks free, the tire turns and immediately the Box senses it and relaxes the boost. In the mean time the tire has steered too far, and at 30mph you are traveling at 44 feet per second, so almost immediately you have to steer the other way. This sux big time. You are constantly sawing on the wheel. I tight idler arm will do this too, but I didn't see that very often; it was mostly BJs.
BTW this problem was not limited to any particular brand of car or joint.The offshore stuff seemed to do this more often when new, but in just a few hours they relaxed and in a few more hours they were loose and in a few more hours I had to replace them with better junk.I fought my employer many times over installing that offshore junk.
That was 20 years ago. At that time Moog and TRW/Federal were the good stuff. Now I hear they might not even be the better junk. I never saw problems in Moog uppers. But I live in a small community, with a customer-base of perhaps as many 30,000.
So again,happy hunting

Last edited:
-
Back