gear drive by C.A.T. power engine parts

-

ateam

A motor can
Reaction score
Hi, Anyone runnin one of these on there sbm. ? Or the low cost version of fluid dampener ? Quality looks "ok"., we'll see. ateam.:cheers:

If its not 400 bucks, its a CAT> (mad dog, thunder chicken, insert distributor name here) I ran a CAT on a 451 and the whine was like a blower, but it was a dual idler Pete Jackson style. Not very good design if you ask me as the floating idler actually rocked between power and coast and there was no room for a line bored motor, If the gears were too close they would turn blue. I got a Milodon myself, have not installed it yet but liked the noise of a gear enough to buy another one for a small block (got it used, a week before I was going to buy a CAT before I shelled out the same for a decent chain and tensioner) its going on a 402 stroker.

The balancer was a nice piece. I had one about 5 years ago. They had pulley alignment issues on their early pieces but the later ones had a recess in the face that allowed proper pulley alignment. Mine didnt come with a bolt! And the original one was too short. Also the plated ones need to be sanded clean inside the snout bore so they fut without a hammer. They say to boil it, or you can super cool the snout with "nut buster" CFC "freon" spray. All are symmetrical so you might have to grind a hole in your later pulley.

There are more than a few factory engines that use OEM Gear Drive timing sets. One that comes to mind as the most common, is the Furd 2.8L V6

Anyone ever hear of a problem with the gear drive in a 2.8?

I installed a CAT Gear Drive on a 340 I built in the mid 2000's and never had a problem with it, everything looked great when I tore it down to start with a new/different build. Have a Milodon Gear Drive in the 340 for my '74 Duster (which was also in the previous 340 that was in my '74)

Pros : Gear to Gear, can't get much more accurate, stable or reliable than that.

Cons : Man do they whine. You won't hear it...much... over the roar of a healthy engine, but everyone around your car will :D

-
Back