gear pattern experts

-
Slightly deeper pinion pattern looks better.
But still may need carrier moved over a smidgen to center both load and coast patterns in the center of the tooth face.
How much are you loading torque on the gears when you pull these readings?

In a streeter,with an automatic,don't be afraid to run the backlash tighter. It is more important to give new gears what they are asking for.And on the street, the backlash will probably never get too tight, nor will the shock of engagement be a concern.
While I have never run zero backlash, the fact is that zero would be best. Zero at running temp, that is.And if the pattern called for it, I'm not sure I would run zero. But EP oil can take a buttload of pressure; an extreme amount. I've never had a pattern that wanted to run that tight, but if I did, I'd probably try it. I mean it's not a $8000 engine we are talking about losing here.
Listen to your pattern.
Your second pattern is for sure better, it would be fine for a teener.
But if you have stout torque and traction, it still wants to be deeper down and closer to the pinion. Sacrifice backlash and coast side if you have to.

Last edited:
Yeah not sure why people would run 0 backlash when those gears heat up the need room to grow, spells disaster all over it in my opinion

Just sayin how I and another old school racer set them up. He was doin it 30 years before me. He set them up to zero, no run in whatsoever and went racin. He never had an issue. This was in a 76 Super Pro Chevy Monza. Before the Chevy jokes, it was 440 powered with a Dana 60. Before that car, he had a 68 Camaro with a 426 Hemi. He's about 80 now and still races.

Just sayin how I and another old school racer set them up. He was doin it 30 years before me. He set them up to zero, no run in whatsoever and went racin. He never had an issue. This was in a 76 Super Pro Chevy Monza. Before the Chevy jokes, it was 440 powered with a Dana 60. Before that car, he had a 68 Camaro with a 426 Hemi. He's about 80 now and still races.
Pattern looks much better,. .007 backlash should work out fine ,. Ready to run! ; Lon

I would go deeper with pinion depth. Contact pattern got better. The contact on drive side got wider and also the pattern shifted slightly
Toward the inner diameter which is what you want. You do not want it completely centered. Under load it will move toward the outside diameter. I would try to get a wider pattern. IMHO

Duane

I set my Dana up with .004 backlash. I also run them in for at least 10 minutes with the wheels in the air, sometimes longer depending on how much heat they generate. Then let them cool off for a few hours the run in once more. Then a nice cruise for 20 miles or so. Have never lost a set of gears doing it this way Kim.

-
Back