gear ratios

-

concrete52

Reaction score
for the 7 1/4 rear end for a driver car - a 75 dart swinger - i have the 2.76 ratio - any thoughts on perhaps a different ratio -

If you are looking for performance,, the 7 1/4 are so weak any money spent should be to a stronger rear end, with better gear ratio (3.23- 3.55), kinda kill 2 birds with one stone.., an 8 1/4 would be a significant improvement,, unless you're expecting to put something 400+ hp,, then an 8 3/4 would be the next step.. jmo

cheers

I wouldn't put a single penny towards a 7.25 rear. Just upgrade to an 8.25 (which can handle some pretty good power!) which you can find a much much better gear selection and easier to find sure grip unit. You can also, very easily, upgrade to rear disc brakes on a 8.25 with bolt on parts from a Jeep Grand Cherokee 96 and older.

A 8.25" would be a nice upgrade. Although it may take a little hunting to find a drum to drum sure grip with the ratio you'd like to use.

What's it going behind? A Slant, stock teen, or something more...:D

A 8.25" would be a nice upgrade. Although it may take a little hunting to find a drum to drum sure grip with the ratio you'd like to use.

What's it going behind? A Slant, stock teen, or something more...:D

Thats the beauty of it really, you don't actually have to find that! You can find an 8.25 rear from a 73+ A body with a 2.94 (or better, the 2.71 and down use a different housing), find a 96 older Jeep Grand Cherokee, remove the rear diff cover and if it has the better gears you want (lets say 3.55) and has a sure grip unit in it, you can bolt the gears and limited slip unit right into the A body 8.25 rear! If the Jeep has rear disc brakes as well, you can take that setup as well and bolt right to the A body 8.25 will no big problems. Its all bolt on stuff and this basically takes your 2.94 rear to a 3.55 with sure grip and rear disc and install directly into your A body!
Why more people don't do this is just don't get.

Thats the beauty of it really, you don't actually have to find that! You can find an 8.25 rear from a 73+ A body with a 2.94 (or better, the 2.71 and down use a different housing), find a 96 older Jeep Grand Cherokee, remove the rear diff cover and if it has the better gears you want (lets say 3.55) and has a sure grip unit in it, you can bolt the gears and limited slip unit right into the A body 8.25 rear! If the Jeep has rear disc brakes as well, you can take that setup as well and bolt right to the A body 8.25 will no big problems. Its all bolt on stuff and this basically takes your 2.94 rear to a 3.55 with sure grip and rear disc and install directly into your A body!
Why more people don't do this is just don't get.

Totally agree. I am doing the disk brakes on my 8 1/4 and kind of wish I bought the whole rear from a grand Cherokee. The dana 35 guts will interchange with the 8 1/4 and the disks are pretty much bolt on, you just have to enlarge the axel tube hole a little with a file, maybe 1/16 of an inch. I sure would have saved some money if I knew about this a year ago. The rears go from 200-500 here on craigslist, If you do the disks I have a post on it in progress.

a 225 slant 6 - with the two barrel set up - the super6 - a904 - its a driver with a bit of pep -

-
Back