Gears making noise!

-

twister360

Reaction score
Ok, I recently went from a 7 1/4 rear to a 8 1/4 rear with a new SureGrip and 4.11 gears. After installation I drove it around the block and the gears were making a lot of noise. The best way to explain the noise is how a plane sounds while flying over you. I know with steeper gears they tend to whine, but I would think it wouldn't be this loud. Any suggestions or information as to why it could be making this much noise? Also I have the rear back seat out. Don't know if that just made it seem louder or not. Thanks!

Who installed the gears? There is a very specific set up procedure as it's not just a bolt-in-and-go scenario.

Pinion preload, backlash, drive & coast patterning all come to mind.

A mechanic at my local Dodge dealership. He works on all the owners racecars. He installed my dads gears and Suregrip as well. :angry7:

A mechanic at my local Dodge dealership. He works on all the owners racecars. He installed my dads gears and Suregrip as well. :angry7:

Take the mechanic for a ride and see what he thinks. Were they new gears installed and who's gears were they eg. Yukon.

Terry

The gears are Motive brand new. I asked Cass (Doctor Diff) if these were a good brand when I ordered the SureGrip and installation kit. He said they were. Once I get the brakes tweaked I suppose I'll take the mechanic for a ride. Also has anyone had any problems with Motive Gears?

not to imply anything but there is oil with sure grip additive in it? The back seats also make a big difference or at least they did in my Newport, the exhaust quieted down a lot when I put them back in.

-
Back