Gen 3 hemi install

-

HeatherHoward

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully installed a gen 3 392 hemi in a 66 or earlier a body? If so was their a conversion kit for the front suspension and cross member you found or did you have to custom build everything? Any information would be appreciated.

I had looked at their website but nothing showed up for the pre 67 abodies. I guess I’ll give them a call and see what they have to say. Thanx for the heads up. The link to the article gives me hope that I might be able to pull it off.

Thanx
Heather

And in the article, it states they used RMS. All these swaps are so close. RMS was all bolt-in on my 68 and everything fit perfectly.
I ordered the complete kit for mine. Good luck.
Should be a Killer Combo in the early A Body.

jere

Oh, it also eliminated the Torsion bars, which should help for Manifolds, Headers, exhaust. This combo, even with stock manifolds would be awesome and probably
simplify exhaust a bunch.

jere

One more note. The rack and pinion not only handles much better, but also eliminates the bulky factory steering box. Again gaining some more room in
cluttered spaces. Very clean look.

Our own @HemiDenny has HDK Suspension. I have not used but looks to be a great product. From reading on here, customer service is second to none.

Has anyone successfully installed a gen 3 392 hemi in a 66 or earlier a body? If so was their a conversion kit for the front suspension and cross member you found or did you have to custom build everything? Any information would be appreciated.

Here is a thread asking a similar questions with links to 2 early A-Body builds on this site.

Note that there are no external differences between a 5.7 and 6.4 (392) beyond the intake and exhaust manifolds.

One more note. The rack and pinion not only handles much better, but also eliminates the bulky factory steering box. Again gaining some more room in
cluttered spaces. Very clean look.

I don't see much for options for early A-Bodies for a G3 swap so an aftermarket suspension might be the best course for those.

But I would argue that you don't need an expensive aftermarket front suspension and rack and pinion to make it handle. My '74 Duster handled as well as my 2015 Challenger R/T with the Super Track Pak option outside of the slow manual steering box I was still running in the Duster. And I only upgraded to .99 TB's, offset UCA bushings, Bilstein RCD's, a 1.125" sway bar and 245/45R17 tires.

No argument that the aftermarket suspension adds room, but I think they also have some design flaws so it isn't (to me) a win-win.

-
Back