GET OUT THE BOOTS (garage storys )

-

dartman340ta

Reaction score
any one have those storys . about the 440 hemis an 3/4 race cam running 10 sec 1/4miles an got 20 miles to the gal , dove it back an forth to work every day . you all heard them stories ( let us here some of them ) how about the one. 63 corvette split window 427 4 speed car for 50$ setting in the garage down the rd . :read2: was a corvair with 3ft of pigeon sh@t on it in a barn. the car was so rotten you couldnt have sold it for scrap for 50$ but there was a story the fellow told that made me go look lmao

Uh oh!! here goes the 70 Dart R/T Buffalo mobile in the field in ....? Where was that thing anyway? CLASSIC!!!!! Always brings a smile and laugh .

Evertime I run into 1 particular old friend and we end up talking about cars he tells me the same story hes been repeating for the last 20 years like Ive never heard it before. His brothers best friends cousins uncle-in-law found an old gto in a barn and paid $100 for it and when he got it home and really looked at it he realised it had been special ordered from the factory with a 427. Car is so fast that the guy has a 100 taped to the dash and if you can lift your arms off your lap when hes got it nailed you can have it. Same 100 has been taped there for 30 years and nobody has gotten it. Id love to hear another story that requires boots as much as that 1 does!lol

A guy I know swore up and down he'd seen a red Barracuda that was the PROTOTYPE Barracuda. Yup, the first one every made. He said the old guy owner claimed it was the first Barracuda ever made, the prototype!

I finally got an address and went for a look......turns out it was owned by an old guy, but it was just a '67 Notchback. Original owner though, nice guy and nice car...I went visiting with my '65 Formula S and made a friend.

I got one, a friend of mine was working as a mechanic for Ford in '73. One of his friends was a tow truck driver and was called to remove cars from canal locks every spring. He pulled 3 cars out that year, and one he could not identify due to the amount of silt and damage. He found some kind of Ford reference on or in the car so he called my friend. '66 427 Cobra dual-quad- but here is the kicker- its not an AC car, and if I remember correctly it is not an SC car, but I am no Ford expert. It does not have a hoodscoop, therefore the intake has the front carb lower, no sidepipes, the exhaust is under the car, (and yes it is ridiculously small), no rollbar, the rear quarters are not flared, soft top with zippered side windows, and all the rims are the same size. It actually has a set of Sunkist rims, (I think), and they were placed on the Cobras when Ford ran out of the Halibrands. The tow truck driver wanted to sell the engine and scrap the car- $350 and he had the entire thing. He ordered everything he could from Ford; all new body panels minus the hood and trunklid, and new interior pieces. He just started putting it back together a few years ago. I've seen it many times and it always amazes me; the tires are original and full of air, the new old aluminum panels look assume, and all the different pieces used to create it from the Jaguar rear, British body, American motor- its a Ford but its kool.
And I would not want to forget the story of how it ended up in the lock. An attorney bought it new, it was stolen by 2 idiots who hit and killed an old lady, freaked out and dumped the car. That makes him the second owner, who has never registered it.
I have never been a big Ford or Shelby fan, but it is an experience to see old iron, history with a big block. Can't wait to go for a ride.
I'm rambling, my apologies.

Come On Fellows I No Theres More I Love To Here Them There Just To Funnie

One of my inlaws had a 75 "Riv" which is Long Island for Riviara. That did wheelies on sunrise highway with truspoke wheels thoes white and gold wall 7ply tires.

Man I have heard all about the mustang with the 455, the 454 hemi charger and so on. But two stories stick out in my mind. About 30 years ago my sisters boy friend told me he had a 66 vette with a 426 hemi. I called him a liar till he opened the hood, sure nuff 426 ci mopar hemi. But the one that really sticks out is I stopped to look at a red 72 road runner one day and the guy told me he would consider this outragous price. Cause it was a doogie haggard car. I assumed he thought it was a charger with a dixie flag on the roof.

When I was in college in Daytona Beach in autumn of 1973, I went to a local Chrysler-Plymouth dealer to get a part for my '68 GTX. I was talking with the parts man about 1960s MoPar muscle cars. He called one of the mechanics over. That guy said that he previously worked for a NASCAR engine builder in North Carolina and that the shop had nine 426 Hemi engines still in crates and that they wanted to sell them. He said that the Hemi was essentially ruled out of NASCAR and none of the teams wanted the engines. He said that he remembered that the engines were for sale for "about $900 each."

Although I had no shekels at the time, I called that shop for the hell of it a couple of months later. Yes, they still had all of the engines, yes they were still for sale for the same price, and they would make a deal for the entire lot!

Arrrrgggghhhh! No shekels, no engines. This is one probable BS story that was apparently true!

My auto shop instructor, it was 1973 or 74, told the story of a 35 mpg V8 Mustang. The little old lady (could it have been anything but?) took her new 60's Mustang to the dealer for routine servicing. She told the service guys how surprised she was that the car was getting such good gas mileage. She even showed them her records. Sometime in the next few nights, someone broke into her garage, nothing was taken, but her car got in the 'teens for mileage. He swore it was true and it was his neighbor. His theory is that it was some super secret carb or fuel system that had mistakenly made it out of the factory. I made the comment that if it were true, why didn't they just change things out at the dealership...I just got a glaring stare. I never bought the story.

Owning a Superbird, you'll hear more bs stories than you can imagine. There were only about 2000 made, but I've had probably 4000 people tell me their dad/uncle/friend/etc had one. And it would go 200 mph. And so on....

As teens we would take most any car we wanted for night time joy riding. We might put 2 days into gathering soda bottles and use bicycles to return those. Bottle deposit for gasoline in whatever jugs available.
When we took my gramps 66 Buick Special we knew to disconnect the speedo.
His milage was good one week and bad the next. LOL
We found a place where we could siphon gas off a tractor behind a golf course. Over filled a Corvair one night and a Beetle another. Having to siphon gas back out of a car into our jugs for the next ride sucked.
Both of those cars would have shown "making gas" to the owners had they been checking.

Heres the true and false story of my Dad's 1970 440 6pak 4 speed Roadrunner convertible. First the true part... He comes home one day with a 440 6pak 4-speed Roadrunner convertible, red with a white bucket seat interior and white top, the sweetest car me and my brother have ever seen. He had a friend that worked for a dealership that was big into racing, and they supposedly dyno'd 5 different 6 pack motors and installed the best one in his car??? I do know it was very fast and won several class events and many street races on Telegraph road. Now heres the false part... Fast forward 38 years and we are sitting around telling stories and he tells his side of the Roadrunner tale. It seems that he must have had some pull, because he mentioned to his dealership friend how much he wanted to see the 6 pack motor in a Roadrunner and how bad he wanted one, so the factory built him one, just like that. They also must have thought his idea was awesome cause they decided to build 54 more, but it was his idea. Wow, Dad sure was connected. Oh well, Dad's memory ain't what it used to be, but mine is and I can still remember every detail about that car. Wish we still had it, but with the gas crunch of the early 70's, those 6 barrels sucking down $1.00 a gallon gas put an end to his love affair with the 'runner and it was traded in on a 73 Satellite Sebring Plus. Nice goin' Dad, and thanks for trading in our inheritance!!! Still love ya' though, Geof

How about some pics of our long gone inheritance!! By the way it went 12.3 @108 in stock form. I have since misplaced the time slip for proof but thats what it was.

rr5.jpg

About 11-12 years ago I answered an ad for a '63 Dodge B-Body way out on Long Island. The car was in a very big garage, like for large trucks and machinery on a service road right off the LIE. it was a cold winter night, took what seemed like forever to get there from Queens.

So I finally get in there and the car is way in the back of this cavernous space. looked like there hadn't been much activity in there for a long time and the car had been sitting for years. It had all kinds of parts inside it, a real project. The guy showing me the car was telling me that it used t be a race car but with a wild Slant 6 and it would hang the hoops. Yeah yeah blah, blah blah.

It was at that point that I noticed there was another car right there but I wasn't immediately aware of it because I was checking out the '63. I had already made up my mind about the first car (didn't want it) when it saw what it was that I was standing next to - a black '65 Dodge 2 door post car with a gold interior. Wow! My face lit up like a school kid. Hey man, what do you want for that I asked. Guy looks at me with a dead-pan straight face and says $80,000. He goes 'Maybe get your daddy to buy it for you' or some other wise crack. I was a little perturbed at this treatment and kinda glared at him until it finally hit me - it was an untouched, original A990 car. 8)

How about some pics of our long gone inheritance!! By the way it went 12.3 @108 in stock form. I have since misplaced the time slip for proof but thats what it was.

Thanks for helpin' me out with the pic's there Broman, it's hard to show a memory. I wonder which one of our favorite 8-track tape's that is stuffed in the player, my bet is on the Archie's!!! LOL!!! Good to see her again, and I'm in love all over again now!!! Geof

"Uh oh!! here goes the 70 Dart R/T Buffalo mobile in the field in ....? Where was that thing anyway? CLASSIC!!!!! Always brings a smile and laugh ."

LoL. That was a good one. It was in Montana, remember? I need to send you pics of the supposed car.

"Uh oh!! here goes the 70 Dart R/T Buffalo mobile in the field in ....? Where was that thing anyway? CLASSIC!!!!! Always brings a smile and laugh ."

LoL. That was a good one. It was in Montana, remember? I need to send you pics of the supposed car.

You should just post pics of that supposed car.

This is a little off subject but redfish said something that made me think of this. When iwas in high school this freind of mine would borrow his dads Rambler stationwagon. His dad limited the milage so after a little crusin around they would be at the limit. So they would go to the school parking lot and back around. It was so funny to go over there and watch these nuts backing around and around with there arms out the windows smoking a cig. and drinking a beer. and listening to the radio. If longgone reads this he will know who i'm talking about. LMAO

You should just post pics of that supposed car.

Here they are. Its a 70 340 4spd Dart Swinger. My friend now owns the car. When I get up to Idaho Falls, I will take some pics for you all.
dartRT.jpg

dartRT1.jpg

Does anyone have a link to the dart R/T thread?

True story, not Mopar but true anyway. My friends dad had a 69 I think 2wd suburban with a big block and dual quads. I rode in it and it would smoke the tires at will. I saw the inline factory dual quads too. Supposedly special order. Ok, call me liar, lol.

I just sold a 1939 Henway. Completely all original Florida desert car.
1.976 cubic inch small block, Chrome plated muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, power windshield, Hydrostatic locking disc drums, dual force radial bias ply directional tires, automatic locking flip top rear buckets, climate controlled trunk, torsional coil spring front end , close ratio reverse mounted mono leaf independent rear coil overs.

It had this funny popping noise when going around corners. My mechanic said there was a loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat.

Well, I just had some new neighbors move in next to me..... :angry7: After coming over and seeing my Duster I was blessed with endless old Chevy stories..... Like his 1981 Camaro with a 79 Corvette engine that would lift the front tires in all four gears... Had to pull that engine and put just an old 350 back in that would only lift the tires in the first two gears..... Or the guy I worked with had an old Chevy tuck that he would stack 6 beer cans up in front of and pop a wheelie and crush all six ....:munky2: Man I could go on and on...... Dang inbreds...

-
Back