GET OUT THE BOOTS (garage storys )

-
I love the old "tape a $100 bill to the dash" story. It seems I hear some version of that one once every couple of years.

Being a relatively young guy, several times per year I get some toothless wonder telling me "I had one of those cars when I was your age. Was doin' 200 miles an hour down [insert name of single lane dirt road here] and wrapped it around a tree. Boy, I was lucky to walk away from that one!"

Another one: it seems every guy I meet that has a 350 Chevy engine says the thing has 350 - 400 horsepower. It's to the point where now I feed it to them:
autopar: Wow, that's a good looking motor. What is it, a 350?
Chevy guy: Yep.
autopar: How much power does it make, about 350 or 400 horse?
Chevy guy: Yep.

my dad swear up and down he noes were a old black man that used to drive a greyhound bus in macon Ga has a garage with a superbird and a daytone sitting side by side that have ben sitting their since the mid 70s he says hes seen both of them in person and almost talked the old man out of one of them one day.

he also claims ones a hemi car
i call bs.

Owning a Superbird, you'll hear more bs stories than you can imagine. There were only about 2000 made, but I've had probably 4000 people tell me their dad/uncle/friend/etc had one. And it would go 200 mph. And so on....

Yeah ,there was a Superbird in everybody's home town and they all went 200 mph. off the showroom floor......

Lets not leave out all the police interceptor cars....Man all those things where fast........ Geesh...

Let's see............:scratch:
There was the one of the Superbird State Police Car in N.M. (found out years later THAT one was true:cheers:)
The rumor of Suffolk County (N.Y.) Hwy Patrol cars having Hemis with single 4bbl manifold.
CHP had a stripped down Hemi Daytona stationed in Blyth, Ca. (early 70s) to chase down cars the patrol cars couldn't catch.
The girl with "If you can beat me, you can *** me" on the back of her car, always racing at Connecting Hwy ( I may have actually known her:shock:)
These were just a few of the ones floating around back in the day. Except for the Superbird one (actually reported in "Musclecar Review" magazine) I now really doubt these & some others I've heard.......

glad to see the storys still coming out . I too heard of the if you beat me you could eat me in ohio an not long ago in central fla thats one story thats been around for ......... like 35 yrs or more ... told it a few times too lol haven some cocktails around the fire out in the garage . any one have more ???? love to hear them !!

A friend of mine has hundreds of first gen hemis at his farm, and apparently has quite a few 426's but he claims they aren't his, but everyone knows they are. One thing I do know is he put a 58' 354 hemi into his 58' front end loader.. super cool! He also has hundreds of late 50's, early 60's mopars and supposedly he used to race them. Other people would be racing late 60's mopars and brand x's but joe would still be winning in his Desotos and Custom Royals. Woulda been pretty neat to see.

How about a BS story from a Dealer, when the Neon R/ts first came out I went out to get one. So I standng there talking to the salesman, I had 12 grand on me to pay for the car. Well of course i wanted to test drive one. He said that there was no way I could test drive one since they were faster from zero to 60 than a viper. That all I could do was order it. Well needless to say I laughed in his face, showed him the money, walked out the door and bought a Dakota with a 318 and stick the next day from another dealer.

Let's see............:scratch:
There was the one of the Superbird State Police Car in N.M. (found out years later THAT one was true:cheers:)
The rumor of Suffolk County (N.Y.) Hwy Patrol cars having Hemis with single 4bbl manifold.

Dunno about that one...

A friend of mine had a '68 Chargers with 383 like 20 years ago. It always ran like a pig, he could never figure out what the problem was. One day we went to visit a friend down south in "NASCAR country". The car sputtered and shut off, he rolled it into a gas station. The mechanic on duty - who also worked for one the "big NASCAR teams" but wouldn't say which one - messed with the carb a bit and fixed it for him. Free, of course. Wouldn't tell him what he did, either. But when he left, he pulled away from a traffic light and the car would smoke the tires then pull the front wheels up about a foot. Every time. His girlfriend was too scared to ride in the car with him driving like that so he went under the hood, messed around with the carb and suddenly it was back to running like "a normal 383" again.

Lets not leave out all the police interceptor cars....Man all those things where fast........ Geesh...
No bull, they were. Back in the late 70`s, A buddy of mine bought a 72? Sattelite. Said it was an old cop car, and it`s got a 440. man he would power brake that thing and fill the whole neighborhood with smoke, with 50`s on the back. scared me, I figured someone would surely call the law. Anyhow, he let me drive it one day, 60mph, just barely touching the gas pedal. I`m sure that thing would fly. Also reminds me of a life changing incident, same time period. A friend of my brother and I has this 70 340 cuda, we decide to get a cooler full of beer an go cruseing, Erv,(nikname,owner) sitting in back, with cooler, my brother driving. All of a sudden a 68/69? mustang flys by, I say getem buddy, he looks back at erv to get permission, and the chase is on. After a few miles we start gaining on em, down a straight stretch, we get to a curve and bud hits the brakes. Here we go, off to the other side of the road, jerks the wheel, back to our side, jerks again, back to other side, and now were going backwards!!, off to our side into the field, we finally come to a stop, cannot see anything with grass or wheat seeds covering whole car. I roll down my window and they`re is a telephone pole about a foot from the door. We head for the car wash just 100 yards down the road. Nota scratch on it. Erv, forgot to tell bud the brakes pulled. I asked bud how fast we were going? he said 130 on straight 90 when we hit that curve. Talk about one shaken up kid! I`ll never forget that one. Talk about guardian angles. And I must include my first car, 55 chev. 327 ,3 speed. well tranny went out and only had first gear, limping it home my buddy got out to open the gate and said floor that thing, I did and felt the front raise up, he said he could have put a pop can under the front tire! allbiet on a hill! LOL. Older guy seen me comeing and traded a 67 renault for it. I needed transpo. for work bad. several weeks later the ohno locked up. If I only knew then what I know now.LOL

Dunno about that one...

Yeah, I never got close enough to a Suffolk county cop car to check that one out. But N.M. State Police thing was covered in a very short article in "Musclecar Review" & had pictures of the thing, minus its wing. According to the article the car was used as a "courier car" for remote areas of the State. Seems some cop bought it when it was phased out, got divorced & his ex got it in the settlement. She wanted some outrageous amount (for the time) for it, so it just sat. Don't know what became of it.
Having lived in N.M. for several years & in law enforcement at the time, I can tell you it wasn't uncommon at all for State Police officers to modify their regular patrol cars with basic hot-rod stuff, so I couls see how someone conned an administrator into getting a Surperbird for courier use.

I have a story, it is about a Ford Shelby......My uncles best friend owns a 68 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500. He owned the car forever, driver condition but very decent shape, blue with gold striped, 428 dual quad, 4-speed, factory rims, original fiberglass hood and trunk etc. One night he was working in his garage pulling a fuel tank out of a customers ratty Toyota truck. The fuel tank fell off the floor jack, fuel splashed on the bulb of his trouble light and started a fire. The garage burnt to the ground with the Shelby inside, get this......no insurance on the car. He has since sold the drive train to a local Mustang guy, the shell sits behind his shop, the body is completly rusted through, total loss.......:angry7:

any one have those storys . about the 440 hemis an 3/4 race cam running 10 sec 1/4miles an got 20 miles to the gal , dove it back an forth to work every day . you all heard them stories ( let us here some of them ) how about the one. 63 corvette split window 427 4 speed car for 50$ setting in the garage down the rd . :read2: was a corvair with 3ft of pigeon sh@t on it in a barn. the car was so rotten you couldnt have sold it for scrap for 50$ but there was a story the fellow told that made me go look lmao

HAHA I have one of those storys. My dad use to have a 3/4 cam in his road runner. Use to beat everything but the vette, he says

I just sold a 1939 Henway. Completely all original Florida desert car.
1.976 cubic inch small block, Chrome plated muffler bearings, synthetic turn signal fluid, power windshield, Hydrostatic locking disc drums, dual force radial bias ply directional tires, automatic locking flip top rear buckets, climate controlled trunk, torsional coil spring front end , close ratio reverse mounted mono leaf independent rear coil overs.

It had this funny popping noise when going around corners. My mechanic said there was a loose nut between the steering wheel and the seat.

What?!? No High-lift dash?

A garage story as well as any other story. It might be a bit long and it is not about Mopars, but still it is a garage story.

Sorry for not using smilies. I have never gotten the idea on how to use them properly so I don´t.

My garage is well equipped. At least when comparing with the average Joe. You know, a broken roof rack on the wall. Some three year old old skiwax at the windowsill and toothless pliers somewhere in a corner. I have various sanders and cutters, pullers and honing tools beside my basic set of hand tools. My neighbour is in the habit of loaning. The other day it was time for that again. He was about to change the exhaust system on his Saab. I lended him a cutter and he left. Then he called. Now he wanted help welding. When cutting some of the rusted bolts he accidentally cutted two holes where not supposed to cut. I was quiet listening to him at the phone.

-Stop grinning, he requested.

Even though I kept up appearances, he knew that I was smiling as a fully satisfied tamagucci.

-What an amateur! Cut holes in your exhaust by mistake. Twice!!

-How about the doors, are they still on the car, I carefully asked him?

He then shouted some ugly words and hang up the phone. Shortly thereafter he roared up to me with his Saab. I rolled out the Migwelder and made a kettle of coffee. He was relieved after restoring the exhaust pipe and told that I was handy around cars. I agreed on what he said and told that teasing is good for the neighbourliness..

When he left without loaned tools I remembered a Whitsun weekend a long time ago. My 1977 Caprice had gotten a 6,2 litre dieselengine and a new lockup transmission. My Caprice now rattled ten kilometres on less than a litre of tractor fuel. (less than 24 US mpg). Sweeeet. Before summer I decided to change the glow plugs. So that it is done until winter, I reasoned. It had been a lot of work converting the car to diesel, and bringing this to an end with this last, not absolutely necessary but preventive measure, it felt good. The extra touch of it, to top it off. New glowplugs were purchased and lied in a row on my workbench. The old ones were unscrewed. 1,2,3,4,5. Three to go. Number six was stuck in some way. It unscrewed from the threads but when pulling it out it stuck. I unscrewed 7 and 8. Strange. I pulled and I jerked. The glow plug came out about 1 cm, the stuck. Now I started to get really irritated. I had already gotten my new jeans dirty and burned myself on the exhaust manifold. This that was supposed to be smooth and easy. This that was supposed to be done in relaxed triumphant way while I was whistling a Helix tune. I felt cheated. My precious victoryceremony was unjustifully taken away from me. After the hard and heavy mechanical work, the final tuneup was stolen from me. I stopped thinking. I grabbed the crowbar.

Now some words of wisdom. –The crowbar is a tool for prying planks. A carpenters tool. When the crowbar is fetched in context to work on your car, something is not right. Beware! I did not. With the crowbar round the number six glowplug I became hemistrong. It creaked, something gave up and I grinned wickedly. –Ha, now you little… And up comes half a glowplug. Just about at the same time a sound -ping, came from cylinder number six. I stiffened. In a split second my brain goes through all of the cavitys of the engine, establishes the fact, and blows a fuse to protect itself from major meltdown. I stand like an idiot without a brain! My arms are hanging down my side feeling all hollow and empty. On top of the number six piston, there are a foreign metal object It is Whitsun in Sweden. Two holes in the exhaust system would have been much more pleasant. I might be much more handy than my neighbour, but he does not do half as the stupid things as I do, or make as half-assed decisions in the garage as I do.

Ps: After four days the number six glowplug was replaced together with a new head gasket.

-
Back