Get those bloody bushes out.

-

Monaro

Reaction score
New leaf springs arrived with front rubber bushes. I had new prothane bushes which I got off ebay. First question any one know how to get them out (the rubber bushes ) have almost thrown out back and split 18kg hammer, trying to get them out.
2/. The original bolt that goes through carrier is approx 12.56mm (.495"?) the I.D. of the sleeve in the bush in the eye of the spring is 15.31mm (.603"?) . I would think that they should be a snug fit?
:banghead: And just to prove that I would not win a kick in a riot, the I.D. of the prothane sleeve in the kit I got off ebay is 11.12mm.(not enought meat in them to drill out)
It is at this time a new Kia is looking attractive.

either have them pressed out or melt them out with a plumbers torch

Thanks for your help, had to use all the sdvise to get them out.
Monaro.

Frankly, I'd ignore anything about poly squeaking until you hear it. After the lung-charring and press fixturing experience of trying to get old rubber bushings OUT versus the slide em' in and they just work experience of putting the poly ones IN? I'd rather let it sit and if it starts to squeak I'll slide the poly out and re-lube it. And if it becomes a regular thing install a zirk near the poly centerline and just put it on my bi-yearly lube schedule. Those rubber bastards were a pain to get out and required a lot of neighbor-annoying black smoke to get burned clean.

I would go with the poly ones myself, maybe they'll start squeaking maybe not but the benefits outweigh it.

jarvitron, I think annoying your neighbors with black smoke and all sorts of horrible noises/smells is just another part of being a gearhead haha :cheers:

I would go with the poly ones myself, maybe they'll start squeaking maybe not but the benefits outweigh it.

jarvitron, I think annoying your neighbors with black smoke and all sorts of horrible noises/smells is just another part of being a gearhead haha :cheers:

...or the results of my last chili blowout. I have heard of people using the poly bushings with some lube just because some others claim they squeek. I have not yet heard squeeking from them...yet.

I did get them out with press (came out clean) and fitted poly bushes. Im still a couple of months before on road (if time will permit) to see if they will squeak.
Cheers,
Monaro.

Glad to hear they pressed out cleanly. I burned them out (nasty) and cut them out. I like the cut but you have to be careful around the edge with the sawzall. Usually 3 equal cuts allows you to push one out and the other 2 just fall out.

I bruned and a short piece of fence post then an air hammer and bolt and nut setup. Worked really well.

-
Back