getting a 360 to run with no car

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
So I have this complete carb to pan 1978 4bbl truck 360. I bought it 3 or 4 years back as it was a good deal and was actually planning on dropping it in the cop car I had.Well,the cop car is long gone and I started playing around with the 360. It has been in dry storage the whole time,and bolted to an engine stand. It turns freely as I filled it with diesel. I primed it and then cranked it by hand using a socket on the dampner bolt.Theres lots of oil pressure and oil to the rockers.

What Im thinking is bolt it up to a 904 I'll be pulling soon.I have the correct tq for this. Wire it up and fire it up on the garage floor,using the starter coming with the trans.I have several rads to use with it and could easily fab up a panel for mounting the spark box,etc.Im also thinking just run constant power to the box via a switch,and simply use jumpers to the starter. Jerry can for fuel to the pump. Mock up some crap used exhaust ( allthough open would be more fun).Pressure wash the entire motor before trying to start it,as its umm,well lubed on the outside.Take a video and post it for sale.

Whats a complete and running 4 bbl truck 360 worth these days given the economy? Im not going to be greedy,but it would be nice not to loose money on it.

Should I just block it up using wood or build a dolly to support th trans and motor?

Suggestions or something I missed?

thanks guys!
Paul

If I needed one or was looking for a running block to build I might give 400-600.

Uh you can start it on the floor. Just don't rev it up to quick! It will almost flip over. Don't ask how I know:toothy10:

You don't need a radiator as long as you don't run it for longer than a couple minutes.

Starting it on floor, that's a wee bit daring, lol. I'd for sure tie it down with chains and a "come-along" at the engine mounts, and figure something out for the trans. (hold it down).

I agree with the no rad needed, altough to stay on the safe side, I would put some water in it, and plug the water pump outlets.

I'd like to run it long enough to time it,check oil psi and operating temp. Some issues dont show up until it's hot,so I run the rad. I have enough pulleys,belts and hoses to choke a fricken horse and 3 rads to try.

You guys are scarin me a bit with the motor flipping thing.I think I'll build the dolly,just need to scare up some scrap metal and casters.That way I could run the tranny through the gears and check it out too.

Jeez,I even have a set of hedders I could bolt on if its easier than the manifolds.

You don't need a radiator as long as you don't run it for longer than a couple minutes.

Thats true. I ran my Darts 318 for a couple minutes one day before I remembered I had drained it,lol.Didnt hurt it.

If You Have the Trans On Theyre pretty stable..Just dont burn up the distributor pick up by the hot wiring method..

SS

Oh, it will flip over all right.. You know what it will do to a car when it's revved up. Hell, you'll be lucky if you don't have to chase it.

Oh, it will flip over all right.. You know what it will do to a car when it's revved up. Hell, you'll be lucky if you don't have to chase it.

We were saying it would be alright to START it NOT Drag Race It Accross the Shop Floor.....

SS

We were saying it would be alright to START it NOT Drag Race It Accross the Shop Floor.....

SS

thats funny!!

I'm almost possitive it WILL NOT flip over bolted to the trans, just don't rev. it too rapid, you can rev. it up, just no quick throttleing.

thats funny!!

I'm almost possitive it WILL NOT flip over bolted to the trans, just don't rev. it too rapid, you can rev. it up, just no quick throttleing.

Thats What My Point Was...Ive Done LOTS of these..Hell Ive even started My Near Thousand Horse HEMIs on the engine stand before...

SS

hehe ,that would be fun racing it around the block....

Im a safety kind of guy,so I'll build the dolly and bolt the trans on.I'll make the engine and trans mounts adjustable as well,so i can test other combo's.

That should make the dolly far more valueable and usefull.

Yup.. points distributor anda way to bolt up a starter/rign gear and you're ready. If it's just for evidence, I'd use a mechanical oil gage, fire it, video it running and the ol pressure, and shut it down. Not a big deal really. As far as what's it worth... around here they can be had free if you know someone (I pulled an 86 4bbl out w/trans for free 3 weeks ago) but usually around $100-300.

get as heavy skid or pallet and bolt it down,all tho you may win americas funniest home videos if it flipped over,,,

-
Back