Getting a car rotting in the garage road worthy 1962 Galaxie

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
As if my life isn't busy enough at times lol I took a liking to a neighbor and well at the end of the day we are working on getting his Galaxie road worthy after sitting for probably a good 20 years.... Only the names and faces change. Lines rotted, gaskets clapped out, and this ol' girl is in need of some intimacy with my tools. The owner is extremely limited on knowledge but has endless stories and buys me coffee. But he sees the finish line and is ultra excited to put some miles on it. Pretty cool car that is original except for the brake upgrades. I thought some of you would enjoy seeing it as any old iron from that era is good stuff...

Enjoy

Image1120277596(1).jpg

Image946496589.jpg

Image1871352636.jpg

Image1283080530.jpg

Image1339701188.jpg

I wish you were my neighbor. On all my projects I am a crowd of one-------------------------
Nice car and worth saving, good for you and your neighbor.

I wish you were my neighbor. On all my projects I am a crowd of one-------------------------
Nice car and worth saving, good for you and your neighbor.

I am normally a one man band but this was worthy of an exception. A retired man wanting to so something with this iron and the guy who was helping him just didn't have much interest beyond talking about it lol... Once the dirt is removed from the underside it will show what appears to be nice metal. Outside panels will need tending to but it won't stop him from driving it. And he's getting his hands dirty so when people ask him questions about "Barney" as he calls it the answers may actually be right lol....

JW

I like those cars. I got mine for ten bucks. Drove it for two years. Was cruising along with the speedo out of sight on the right when the cam snapped.

Yep 352. And it will stay this way lol. He and his wife want to enjoy the car and he wants reliability and minimal hassles. I have someone lined up to go through the motor for him but that's in the fall and it gives me time to work the bugs out of it so he can enjoy it over the summer.....

JW

Nice that you're giving an old timer a helping hand:thumbsup: Just remember no good deed goes unpunished:poke:. I'm in a Vette redo for my FIL who has stage 4 lung cancer. Not sure how I feel about tossing chebbie pics on a Mopar site. Wish we had an "other projects" forum as I see on other sites. I'm sure plenty of guys working on other stuff.

Kudos to you for helping him out, glad to see another one on the road whatever brand it may be.
I actually like the styling of these old Fords, and it looks like it has a modern brake system in it already, which is good.
Can't say i like the wheels, though.........

Nice that you're giving an old timer a helping hand:thumbsup: Just remember no good deed goes unpunished:poke:. I'm in a Vette redo for my FIL who has stage 4 lung cancer. Not sure how I feel about tossing chebbie pics on a Mopar site. Wish we had an "other projects" forum as I see on other sites. I'm sure plenty of guys working on other stuff.

You won't see me complain about the pictures your post of it..... I have been in your shoes and I could write a book about the journey. Good on you to getting the Vette going....

JW

Kudos to you for helping him out, glad to see another one on the road whatever brand it may be.
I actually like the styling of these old Fords, and it looks like it has a modern brake system in it already, which is good.
Can't say i like the wheels, though.........

Lol to the wheels. He doesn't like them either but we are working on correcting that. I am thinking Dogdish myself. I need to post a picture of the front Sway Bar. I think Ford left alot to be desired on it lol...

As for the brakes, you are right about the update but that's where it stops. Not sure what was spinning through someone's head on the proportioning valve but we will fix all that.... It is interesting that part of the fuel line was routed outside of the frame rail (note the word "was".) The owner did automobile fatality forensics so needless to say he wants all lines inside the frame....

JW

JW

Last edited:
You won't see me complain about the pictures your post of it..... I have been in your shoes and I could write a book about the journey. Good on you to getting the Vette going....

JW
You inspired me:rofl: saw your thread and wth doing the same thing. Kinda hinting at don't get buried! Man I was , but starting to see some light at the end of that tunnel.

You inspired me:rofl: saw your thread and wth doing the same thing. Kinda hinting at don't get buried! Man I was , but starting to see some light at the end of that tunnel.

Find your car buddies to get it together. As we get older your story will motivate people to help (and good help at that...)

JW

It is interesting that part of the fuel line was routed outside of the frame rail (note the word "was".) The owner did automobile fatality forensics so needless to say he wants all lines inside the frame....

JW
Hmm.. never thought about that. My fuel and brake lines are all run out along the rocker pinch weld, when I do a full redo of my car I'll have to move them inside the subframe connectors and frame.

Hmm.. never thought about that. My fuel and brake lines are all run out along the rocker pinch weld, when I do a full redo of my car I'll have to move them inside the subframe connectors and frame.

Makes the work easier for me. The way those lines are routed from the factory was going to keep me honest when installing the new ones with the crazy tight bends. I might also go ahead and run 2 fuel lines just in case he decides to go fuel injection in the future...

JW

Love Galaxies! Had a '66 XL500 years ago, really cool car... Really want a '61 Starliner, nothing in pocket, right now ...Good Luck....

Love Galaxies! Had a '66 XL500 years ago, really cool car... Really want a '61 Starliner, nothing in pocket, right now ...Good Luck....

You must know the guy I work with.... That is all he has talked about since he saw the pictures of my project lol...

JW

You must know the guy I work with.... That is all he has talked about since he saw the pictures of my project lol...

Dude ! I love early '60's full sized American cars... They just carry a persona, that cannot be matched by 'Vette's, or mainstream muscle cars...

JW
Oop's! Click to read..:)

The Power steering box, flush throughout... They are expensive....

The Power steering box, flush throughout... They are expensive....

He initially wanted to add power steering but now he likes the idea of a manual box adding to the allure of the car lol.... I enjoy all the old stuff myself.... It's refreshing being around someone who has not a clue how to turn a wrench but will show up with enthusiasm, tons of stories, and coffee lol....

JW

So "Barney" as we call it is in a little trouble. I got it back together a few weeks ago with fresh tranny, all new brakes, cooling, and fuel system. And it was running money expect for leaking exhaust manifold gaskets. If any of you know the task at getting the manifolds off these motors it can be dicey at best. Drivers side came off. Passenge side rung off 3 bolts so I told the owner to fix it right the head had to come off. When I pulled the distributor out and saw sludge I knew it was about to go bad....

So the pieces now sit at our local machine shop for a rebuild. It is just tired and is in good shape. It is amazing how things happen working on cars just like this..... And it ran really good as did all systems on the car. So she is down for a few months awaiting a fresh powerplant....

Image878014283.jpg

Image67622253.jpg

Image1169620054.jpg

-
Back