Getting a similar Shop Manual

-

Mopar Millenial

Reaction score
Hello all again. Coming at you guys with another questionably dumb question.
So I have a 67 barracuda and I'm wanting the (you should definitely have this) shop manual for it. However, the 1967 shop manual lists several non-barracuda cars for 67, and a barracuda under the 1966 section (unsure why but I know a 66 barracuda is NOT what I want, different gen car). SO should I get the 67 manual and just know that all the cars are basically the same? OR should I get a 68 manual b/c the 68 barracuda will be 99% the same car minus some cosmetic details.
Wanting to use it for some questionably able DIY work (engine, rear end, brakes, normal servicing, etc.)

Most OEM manuals cover multiple vehicles. My '71 OEM manual for my Demon covers the '71 Challenger as an example. I would get the one for your model year.

We have a 67 barracuda as well, the 67 FSM covers SOME of what you will need. Because 67 was the 1st year for 2nd gen cudas, Ma Mopar dropped the ball and didnt put anything specific to the cudas in there. Shortly after the release they came out with a supplement that covers barracuda specific info. Shoot me your email and I can send you copies. But yes get 67 FSM for starters. More than just cosmetics changed from year to year with these gen of cudas.
So I have a 67 barracuda and I'm wanting the (you should definitely have this) shop manual for it. However, the 1967 shop manual lists several non-barracuda cars for 67, and a barracuda under the 1966 section (unsure why but I know a 66 barracuda is NOT what I want, different gen car). SO should I get the 67 manual and just know that all the cars are basically the same? OR should I get a 68 manual b/c the 68 barracuda will be 99% the same car minus some cosmetic details.
Wanting to use it for some questionably able DIY work (engine, rear end, brakes, normal servicing, etc.)

I wouldn't exactly say Mopar dropped the ball, The Barracuda was a late entry car for 67, production started October 31, 1966. So it is hard to say if the literature was even ready for the press when the manual went to press.

The Supplement was issued as a Service Bulletin, it includes everything unique to the Barracuda, otherwise use the Valiant in the regular Manual
https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1967_Plymouth_Service_Manual_Supplement.zip

Alan

Well, let's split hairs then Al, rolling out a brand new platform of car without a service manual isnt dropping the ball?
Hmmm they only did 1 run of FSM manuals? No 67 manuals got printed in 68 or 9?
Since it was my response you are questioning, IMO they dropped the ball. Ever see ANY 67 manuals with bulletin, supplement, whatever u want to call it?
Not even in a 67 manual printed in 69.
Were talking the difference in thickness of blond vs brunette pu$$y hairs here.
Theres enough stuff in the supplement that warrants the OP having it INCLUDING elec schematics lol, ask me how I know.
OP BEWARE, not everything at Mymopar.com is factory including the schematics. Pain in the ***!
I wouldn't exactly say Mopar dropped the ball, The Barracuda was a late entry car for 67, production started October 31, 1966. So it is hard to say if the literature was even ready for the press when the manual went to press.

The Supplement was issued as a Service Bulletin, it includes everything unique to the Barracuda, otherwise use the Valiant in the regular Manual
https://www.mymopar.com/downloads/servicemanuals/1967_Plymouth_Service_Manual_Supplement.zip

Alan

Well, let's split hairs then Al, rolling out a brand new platform of car without a service manual isnt dropping the ball?
Hmmm they only did 1 run of FSM manuals? No 67 manuals got printed in 68 or 9?
Since it was my response you are questioning, IMO they dropped the ball. Ever see ANY 67 manuals with bulletin, supplement, whatever u want to call it?
Not even in a 67 manual printed in 69.
Were talking the difference in thickness of blond vs brunette pu$$y hairs here.
Theres enough stuff in the supplement that warrants the OP having it INCLUDING elec schematics lol, ask me how I know.
OP BEWARE, not everything at Mymopar.com is factory including the schematics. Pain in the ***!
I don't think any bulletins were ever added to the manuals.
The bulletin is dated November 25, 1966 that was probably before the cars hit the dealer.

It is hard enough getting people just to get a factory service manual. Adding this to it just makes it more complicated.

There were even two different Full Line sales brochures. Additional inserts for the Dealer Trim & Data books.

I'd have to look at my old original 67 service manuals but I wouldn't doubt it was just a single run.

The Parts Books had running updates that could be swapped out with the original pages but with the Service Manual they just issued a Bulletin for changes, corrections and additions.

I don't think we're splitting hairs here, it was just the way it was done.

Alan

I have the 64 TSM, 67 Motors Manual and 69 Motors Transmission Manual in hard copy in the garage. Then a couple of spin-off Transmission guides and finally the 64 Body Manual along with a bunch of printouts from here on FABO of mechanical threads (toss them in a binder)

@4spdragtop
I'm not sure what there is to Disagree with, I'm just stating the facts. I checked a dozen different factory service manuals, multiple 67s, not one had any indication of a second printing (doesn't mean they didn't). It didn't matter what year make or model they were all printed in August. So every year the were selling cars before the service manuals were printed.

Just because you think they could have or should have doesn't change the fact that they didn't, they saw no reason to. In fact it would have gone against what they had been doing, waiting till the cars were into production so they knew all the final changes.

There was already a system in place to issue Service Bulletins to cover issues with the Service Manual, this was no different.

I never saw this to be odd as much as I saw the late release of the car itself.

Alan

Masters Manuals are the best for period correct compilations of procedures.

Anyone offer alternatives?

Masters Manuals are the best for period correct compilations of procedures.

Anyone offer alternatives?
So I do actually have a general 1967 manual for all cars, it is sometimes not the most helpful. For example I was curious one day and wanted to know how to replace a rear main seal and it said “you should replace the rear main seal as one does”. Lol

Ma Mopar DROPPED the ball, PERIOD. You say you're not splitting pu$$y hairs here?? Supplement vs bulletin....hairs vehicle release date...hairs....inserting pages in a binder?? hairs....
Micromanaging at its best, I like to call it pu$$y hairs. Does that explain it?
Ever see any 67 FSM with the barracuda in it lol? RIGHT THERE on reprints (if there were any) they dropped the ball.
The OP asked about 67 cuda specific stuff and I tried to help and explain.
You got a "disagee", quit micromanaging and get over it geez.
@4spdragtop
I'm not sure what there is to Disagree with, I'm just stating the facts. I checked a dozen different factory service manuals, multiple 67s, not one had any indication of a second printing (doesn't mean they didn't). It didn't matter what year make or model they were all printed in August. So every year the were selling cars before the service manuals were printed.

Just because you think they could have or should have doesn't change the fact that they didn't, they saw no reason to. In fact it would have gone against what they had been doing, waiting till the cars were into production so they knew all the final changes.

There was already a system in place to issue Service Bulletins to cover issues with the Service Manual, this was no different.

I never saw this to be odd as much as I saw the late release of the car itself.

Alan

Last edited:
Depending on what you are doing, FAXON has published the assembly drawings as a book. There's a thread reviewing the book and that may help you decide if it will be useful or of interest.

What part of my reply do you not agree with Matt? I dont care about the "x", just curious.
Depending on what you are doing, FAXON has published the assembly drawings as a book. There's a thread reviewing the book and that may help you decide if it will be useful or of interest.

What part of my reply do you not agree with Matt? I dont care about the "x", just curious.
Everything you wrote about Cuda Al.
He provided a factual explanation of how and why the Barracuda supplement was published after the shop manual. That's not micromanaging. That's providing insight into how things were done. I find Al very knowledgeable and willing to share.
In fact I would not be surprised if the '67 Barracuda Supplement scans I shared originally came from Al - because IIRC it was Al who posted them on the old Barracuda Owners Group.

Is it helpful knowing how they operated? Well if someone is looking for factory liturature, yes it is.
When I would go adealer to look up part numbers, I learned that the inital release of the '67 Parts Book did not have the Barracuda information. But one dealer had the supplement so I was able to look up the p/n for the 67 windshield gaskets and lockbrite as well as some other parts.

If I was to buy a Parts Book, or reprint now, I would know to look for or ask about the supplemental info that would have been inserted or added throiugh the year. If it wasn't there, I'd keep looking.
In contrast, if I was buying a 67 Shop Manual, I'm not going to look for the Barracuda or any other late info. It was never included in the book. It was always a seperate release like all the TSBs.

Lol, I didnt say Al was or wasnt helpful, but supplement(as you called it as well) vs TSB, vs loose leaf binder.
Really? Tomato tamoto...LOTS of micro managers are helpful. Me? I dont need micromanaged over a single word(that you used as well). And yes those scans I have are THANKS to you.
It's really petty bs, like I said tomato tamoto, I'm done here.
Everything you wrote about Cuda Al.
He provided a factual explanation of how and why the Barracuda supplement was published after the shop manual. That's not micromanaging. That's providing insight into how things were done. I find Al very knowledgeable and willing to share.
In fact I would not be surprised if the '67 Barracuda Supplement scans I shared originally came from Al - because IIRC it was Al who posted them on the old Barracuda Owners Group.

Is it helpful knowing how they operated? Well if someone is looking for factory liturature, yes it is.
When I would go adealer to look up part numbers, I learned that the inital release of the '67 Parts Book did not have the Barracuda information. But one dealer had the supplement so I was able to look up the p/n for the 67 windshield gaskets and lockbrite as well as some other parts.

If I was to buy a Parts Book, or reprint now, I would know to look for or ask about the supplemental info that would have been inserted or added throiugh the year. If it wasn't there, I'd keep looking.
In contrast, if I was buying a 67 Shop Manual, I'm not going to look for the Barracuda or any other late info. It was never included in the book. It was always a seperate release like all the TSBs.

The difference is that you can ask for a tomato and you'll get what you expect.

You said Chrysler dropped the ball, and Al explained that's not how it happened.

-
Back