Getting chrome off potmetal ?

-

RedFish

Reaction score
Ok guys who knows how to get chrome off potmetal pieces like reverse lamp fixtures ?
I tossed them in a box with some kickdown linkage etc.. and took to the bead blaster. Those other parts look great but the chrome didn't budge.
Sand blasting will distroy the potmetal ( so I'm told ) and a corosive chemical will eat it. :(
Will a torch blister it off ?

what media was used? glass beads probably won't be strong enough. try walnut shells or aluminum oxide, unless that is what they used.

dont know if this helps but somthing like meriatic acid might take it off. and it will only cost you about $5.00 dont know what it will do to pot metal tho might be worth tying on something less valuable

yup first effort was glass bead. I'll have to hunt someone using the aluminum oxide media. Thanks to all.

Yes, you can sand it off but you must be careful not to remove the "character" or detail of the casting. As you start to sand you'll hit nickel, then copper. Beyond the copper you'll be into the potmetal. Working with plated potmetal is both an art and science.

im sanding some off with 120 grit and then coat them with body filler to smooth out the sanding marks, then paint. the chrome actually comes off fairly fast. potmetal cant be powdercoated, though.

im sanding some off with 120 grit and then coat them with body filler to smooth out the sanding marks, then paint. the chrome actually comes off fairly fast. potmetal cant be powdercoated, though.
Sure potmetal can be powdercoated I've seen powdercoat put right on top the chrome. I intend to paint these pieces after filling pits and sanding.

On my convertible i was considering painting the inside a-pillars instead of having them rechromed.

Sure potmetal can be powdercoated I've seen powdercoat put right on top the chrome. I intend to paint these pieces after filling pits and sanding.

i took my cuda grills to get them powdercoated and the guy said he couldnt do it due to the potmetal "popping". little air bubbles coming out. he showed me some that he had tried and the metal looked textured. maybe leanne (cudachick) could answer for sure

Pot metal, a combination of several types of metal smeltered together, is DEFINITELY a challenge to work on. Different eras of cars used different combinations of metal to make it. Especially nasty on post-war era cars ... I assume it's because most of the "good" metal went into armament and ammo production so automakers were forced to use whatever they had on hand in order to still get the cars off the production line.

My worst experience dealing with pot metal involved a set of gauge bezels from a 1959 Impala. You know, the huuuge 6" wide speedometer bezel with the dual-pod gauge bezels on each side. They were originally chromed but had been sitting in a field for probably 40 years. They were VERY pitted and nasty and needed a lot of help. The two little pod bezels were easy enough to get down to bare metal with some #4 Fine sand in the pot blaster, but that big one had to be sent to my buddy Darrell at ChromeMasters in Nashville. (He charged $20 to dip it / strip it and had it back to me in 3 days; I'd highly recommend him if anyone needs his services.)

I worked on those parts for three weeks. Filling the holes left from the pitting with my magic high temp stuff, sanding, smoothing out the surfaces, sanding some more, gassing them out a half dozen times (to remove those little air bubbles and impurities SweatyBetty referred to), filling and sanding again, and finally powdercoating them in Super Chrome ...... FOUR TIMES! Despite having a very happy customer, they honestly weren't up to my standards at all.

If I ever get more pot metal in that looks like those things did, I'll charge three times as much. I know I lost my a$$ on that job. :love4:

-
Back