Comodo anti virus at this time......slow......shows it will take
about 5 hours.

I had Comodo on my system but I got a message that it was
out of date. While deleting and downloading new stuff I must have
picked up some junk. It was "Adware.Tracking cookie"

It loaded me up with 173 items. Got rid of them with Super Anti
spyware....thanks 6pkC

Being sent from my laptop

The credit for the Superantispyware belongs to TrailBeast, not ME. He helped me save a computer earlier this year :salute: :notworth:

Been having another issue. My screen just goes black..sometimes 2 or 3 times
in a row. I don't lose anything when it happens.

It doesn't matter if I am online or not.

Any suggestions.....happened just now while I was typing.

I don't know, but here's a bump for someone that might be able to help you :thumbup:

Quite frankly, this is kind of thing that every single one of us should always be ready to deal with

1....The Pubic, that's us, SHOULD be DEMANDING every time we buy a new machine, to get installation disks for the OS and software, or at the very least "restore" disks. What is NOT acceptable is the current state of a "restore partition" on the hard drive..........because WHEN the hard drive dies, "you are screwed."

When you DO buy a computer, get ahold of customer support or online and ORDER a set of recovery / software disks for your machine.

Learn to use "imaging" programs and BACKUP your data, your photos, your documents. Nowadays, with USB devices, this is easier than ever. So called "cloud" type stuff online is also available, although I do not like this approach........jus' my opinion

This gets deeper, and I have not figured this out for a used Dell I picked up, but Google around and learn to save/ copy the restore partition so that if the hard drive dies, and you don't have restore disks, you STILL have an avenue of reinstalling to a new hard drive

2....Refer to rule one, above. Sometimes, a system gets so "effed up" that quite frankly, unless you are an IT expert, the simplest way to "fix" things is to simply reinstall/ restore. Yes, this is a PITA. But it's still cheaper to learn to do this than to pay XXXXXX dollars per hour to some joker who may or may not know what he's doing

3.....I've said this before.....Consider learning to use Linux. Here, I simply don't worry much about viruses. There ARE things I can't do in Linux. One is the EFI programming for my Holley EFI. Occasionally, there's other stuff (one of my photo scanners) that I must resort to Winhozed in order to use.

4.....Learn, Google, and keep up on a few good software tools, mentioned in this thread, and keep your virus software updated.

5....Learn to NOT "obey" pop ups and other nonsense that tell you that you must update this or that without DOUBLE checking first. There are a lot of so called update alerts that are IN FACT viruses themselves.

On the last two machines I bought new, the very first thing I did was to buy a brand new spare hard drive for the machine, set it up and get it up and running so I know it works. That is, an exact copy of the oriignal in the machine.

THEN that hard drive pretty much gets stored, but I periodically dump copies of my files, photos, documents into that hard drive as a storage drive. If the main drive ever fails, I may lose "a little" but not much.

Quite frankly, this is kind of thing that every single one of us should always be ready to deal with

1....The Pubic, that's us, SHOULD be DEMANDING every time we buy a new machine, to get installation disks for the OS and software, or at the very least "restore" disks. What is NOT acceptable is the current state of a "restore partition" on the hard drive..........because WHEN the hard drive dies, "you are screwed."

I quit buying off the shelf 'puters some time ago. I have mine custom built with the amenities I want. It also comes with the OS disk.

Learn to use "imaging" programs and BACKUP your data, your photos, your documents. Nowadays, with USB devices, this is easier than ever. So called "cloud" type stuff online is also available, although I do not like this approach........jus' my opinion

I do store a ton of stuff on an external hard drive, if my PC gets hit or just plain dies I still have it.

Been having another issue. My screen just goes black..sometimes 2 or 3 times
in a row. I don't lose anything when it happens.

It doesn't matter if I am online or not.

Any suggestions.....happened just now while I was typing.

Does it reboot when it goes black or does it return to the screen you were on?
Check for air flow. Vacuum the dust out of the vents. Shut down and re-seat all cables.
Should be able to make you own recovery disc(s) or purchase "IF" still available.

On this machine I'm using IE 11 with no issues on this site. Win7
MS Security Essentials
Malwarebytes Free

You might try Spybot Search & Destroy if your "confuser" has the resources.

Does it reboot when it goes black or does it return to the screen you were on?
Check for air flow. Vacuum the dust out of the vents. Shut down and re-seat all cables.
Should be able to make you own recovery disc(s) or purchase "IF" still available.

On this machine I'm using IE 11 with no issues on this site. Win7
MS Security Essentials
Malwarebytes Free

You might try Spybot Search & Destroy if your "confuser" has the resources.

For no apparent reason the screen goes black and then flashes back on again.

Probably a corrupted video driver.
Sometimes just removing the video from device manager and letting the computer reinstall it works, and sometimes downloading a fresh driver is required.

I run across this all the time on computers I clean up.

I switched to Linux on a PC that had become a dog. Totally cured it but I could not get used to Linux. Bought win 8. Not thrilled with its interface but it's fast and stable "so far".

Macs don't seem to have these issues. Never made the switch but sure have been tempted.

-
Back