Getting my dart ready for the drag strip

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
well i have had my car running for the last year now and I am just now getting things wrapped up and getting it ready to head to the track for the first time. I started with an intake swap this weekend. I went from the mopar M1 single plane to a Eddy performer RPM. I noticed an increase in the low end torque and mid range power. this is all seat of the pants but it was noticeable.

I also order a new stall converter from Dynamic this afternoon. ordered up an 9 1/2" 4500 rpm stall converter with all the goodies. should really wake up the combo.

here are my specs. let me know if anyone has any advice to optimize my combo.

67 dart
383 stock bottom end rebuild with speed pro pistons installed at zero deck.
84cc eddy heads mild port work, gasket matched
comp cams 284s cam. 525 lift .254 @ .050 duration
tti headers 1 3/4" primary
tti 3 inch x-pipe exhaust dumped before the rear dif.
eddy performer rpm intake
750 proform holley carb.
727 with cheetah forward pattern manual valve body
4500 stall 9.5" dynamic converter
moser fabricated 8 3/4 rear with 4.10 rear gear
28" x12" drag radials.

Get it to hook and it should run 11 something is my guess.

I'd run it a couple times to baseline, then change timing 2* either direction. Take some jets too, keep going up until MPH falls off..

Sounds to me like it will haul a$$. Good luck, I'd also think high 11s.

im hoping to get as close to 11.5 as possible then im happy. i don't want to cage this car or have to change my seats. I am perfectly happy running in the pro class and driving to and from the track and cracking off mid 11 sec passes on pump swill.

timing:

crackedback, thank you for your help when i first got this thing fired up. I am currently at 22* initial and 36* total all in by 2800 rpm. it starts with the flick of the key and no longer burns my eyes outta the sockets at idle. im sure it would like a little more initial but with the big stall speed i think its a good trade off for hot starts.

........ I am perfectly happy running in the pro class and driving to and from the track and cracking off mid 11 sec passes on pump swill.

That's awesome! I am one of the crazies that does this as well (runs in Pro and drives the car to and from the track)...although some days I trailer it....still, it's fun just knowing that you can.:D

Last year one of the races I won was on a day that I just drove the car to the track and left the trailer at home. That win was soooo much sweeter when I was puting my folding chair, cooler, and tools in the car and people were walking by my car saying "nice job", "congrats" and then one person said "wait.....did you DRIVE that thing to the track??? HOLY #&%*!!!". Yup, its just a "street" car, haha! :D:twisted::D

Sounds like a fun ride, enjoy.

Should be a blast. The only kind of weak spot I can see is the drag radials. I know guys get 8 second cars to hook on those but it takes more work then good old slicks. I wouldn't change tires for the first time though. You should be alright and i will say a 11.8!

Dont' you need a roll bar for 11's

I think high 11's as well. Mine goes 11.70's and you have some parts that exceed mine and some that fall under mine. Some are the same. Time will tell.

440ci vs. 383ci, but your cam is way hotter. You might have a tad more compression as my eddy's are 88cc. You have way more convertor, I have more gear, 4.56. Same size tire but I run wrinkle wall MT SP's. I have more header than you, TTI 2". I have a 950 carb.

Sounds like a well thought out combination. The drag radials should work great if the track prep is there. 11.49 and quicker requires roll bar.

My car runs the same on Hoosier drag radials as it does on Hoosier QTP slicks...hooks great either way, but the drag radials are MUCH more stable at high speed, and friendlier on the street as well.

I am running 17" x 11" wheels and I could only find the tall tire for 17 " wheel from m&h. It's a 325/45/17. It hooks pretty decent on the street but still spins if I flash the converter. I think with a half *** track prep it should hook. I have cal trac bars and the mono leafs. I also have the QA1 adjustable shocks all way around. Front end has RMS upper control arms with the rod ends and the adjustable strut rods with rod ends. Front end move very freely. Car transfers weight well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 656
im hoping to get as close to 11.5 as possible then im happy. i don't want to cage this car or have to change my seats. I am perfectly happy running in the pro class and driving to and from the track and cracking off mid 11 sec passes on pump swill.

timing:

crackedback, thank you for your help when i first got this thing fired up. I am currently at 22* initial and 36* total all in by 2800 rpm. it starts with the flick of the key and no longer burns my eyes outta the sockets at idle. im sure it would like a little more initial but with the big stall speed i think its a good trade off for hot starts.

No sweat, happy to help.

See if it will take another 2-3 degrees more timing and still start. That will give you some leeway to turn more initial in, thus more total. The total number is the one in play at high rpms, you need a little fudge room.

No sweat, happy to help.

See if it will take another 2-3 degrees more timing and still start. That will give you some leeway to turn more initial in, thus more total. The total number is the one in play at high rpms, you need a little fudge room.

Think it might like a little more total? I know it will take more initial I'd just have to order another limiter bushing

I am running 17" x 11" wheels and I could only find the tall tire for 17 " wheel from m&h. It's a 325/45/17. It hooks pretty decent on the street but still spins if I flash the converter. I think with a half *** track prep it should hook. I have cal trac bars and the mono leafs. I also have the QA1 adjustable shocks all way around. Front end has RMS upper control arms with the rod ends and the adjustable strut rods with rod ends. Front end move very freely. Car transfers weight well.

Your car has a great stance, pure awesomeness.

Just dial more in at the track if it wants it. If the MPH slows down with more timing, it doesn't like it. You can always reset it back when you are at home. You never know what it really wants for total at the track until you do it. It may want less. Never know.

I am running 17" x 11" wheels and I could only find the tall tire for 17 " wheel from m&h. It's a 325/45/17. It hooks pretty decent on the street but still spins if I flash the converter. .

The rim size will help you. One BIG trick you'll find the fast drag radial guys use is to run the widest rim you can on a given tire. Some guys run a 14" rim with 12.50's.

If it remotely hooks on the street it will hook at the strip. The traction even on a half assed prep day is far better than the street.

Regardless of what you run at the track, that car runs like a beast. Sounds amazing.

Regardless of what you run at the track, that car runs like a beast. Sounds amazing.

thanks man. if it runs anywhere near as good as it sounds i will be a happy camper. im pretty positive i wont have any trouble getting into the 11's. my dads demon runs 10.70s at 126mph and we have lined em up from a role and he wasn't pulling me all that hard. he beat me of coarse but it wasn't by all that much. maybe 2 cars thru 1st and second and part of 3rd. im guessing its gonna go 11.80's right out the gate and with some tuning and chassis adjustments im betting i can get it sub 11.50. time will tell the tale. the cool part to me is that its running a stock stroke 383 that most guys just stroke or ignore all together. this engine is a stepping stone though. i intend to run this combo and get the car all sorted out then build my 470 and cage the car. then i plan to run mid to low 10's in full street trim. that to me is the ultimate bad *** street car. no truck, no trailer, no race gas and no slicks. drag radials, pump gas and drive it home with a mid 10 dial on the window. then i can die a happy man.

hell a healthy hit of the juice might make this engine do that.................

I hate to tell you this but when you start running mid to low tens you will want to run 9's next. It never ends. I use to say I will be happy to run 6.50's in the 1/8. I drive my pump gas small block to the track now and run 6.20's with drag radials and mufflers on motor and now I want to run in the 5's. I have been thinking about spraying a 100 shot to see if it will run a 5.99.

after running high 11's with a mild stock stroke just good tuning ( timing and carb) I believe you will get your mid 11 timeslip your car is very well built from the pics and info you giving and im sure tuning is on point as well very nice ride my friend

timing:

Cracked is a good guy with lots of "MoSmarts". You're a little soft on compression with aluminum heads but if it hooks and the basic stuff is covered, an 11 sec time slip should be yours!

But we need pics of the car itself, not just the motor!

Cracked is a good guy with lots of "MoSmarts". You're a little soft on compression with aluminum heads but if it hooks and the basic stuff is covered, an 11 sec time slip should be yours!

But we need pics of the car itself, not just the motor!

here are some pics of the car.

-
Back