Getting ready to ditch the 7.25...

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
I finally picked up a 8 3/4" 3.23 open rear to swap in place of my dead 7.25. This is the first I've done anything like this... what do I need to look out for doing this swap? I'm pretty sure the drums on the 8 3/4 are 10", rather than my stock 9" drums...will this be a fitment problem for my 14" wheels? How about the driveshaft? Does that use the existing u-joint, or is it a different size on the 8 3/4? I'm hoping to knock this out Tuesday evening (continuing into Thursday, if need be), so I want to be prepared getting into it. What about brake lines? The lines attached to the axle are intact and fine, can they attach to the soft line on the car, or does it mount differently?

TIA

...and sorry for all the newb questions. :)

10" drums will work just fine with your 14" wheels. Youll also have to oblong the holes on the shock plates if you havent picked up the 8.25/8.75 plates.

you will have to shorten driveshaft. Are they both same bolt pattern? May have to do some adjusting on emergency brake cable where they connect from two cable to one if the cables are not same length

you will have to shorten driveshaft. Are they both same bolt pattern? May have to do some adjusting on emergency brake cable where they connect from two cable to one if the cables are not same length

Oh, crap...I will have to shorten it? They are the same bolt pattern, so that's a plus at least.

Shortening your driveshaft is cheaper than having to retube it for a longer length. I did this swap also and after I had the driveshaft shortened I found myself back at Advanced Driveline for a Conversion U Joint because my 8&3/4 A Body Housing had a Center Chunk out of a B Body. Rubber Brake Hose was the same on mine.

it's an easy swap though....you should be able to do it in a day no prob as long as you have everything you need....you'll need larger u-bolts too as the 7.25 axle housing is a smaller diameter.
Shortening the driveshaft's no big deal. I took mine to a reputable driveshaft/machine shop and had it shortened, balanced. Braught my yoke as well and told them what I needed for u-joints which they also installed. They did it all for $110.

-
Back