Getting Rid of the Hood Torsion Springs on the Early A-Body

-
Dave, prior to welding the plates to the inner kick panel, I put a nut on the bolt and tightened down to hold the plate/bolt in place. I left the nut on and used 3 fender washers and a nylon washers for spacers.

It open and closes super quiet.

Why? Just to say you did it? Alrighty.

We thought that they were ugly also and we ran out of room.

Hood Torsion Springs 29-1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very clean. I commend your awesome skills. :prayer:

What rating did you go with on the hood lift cylinders? Curious to know If I ever change my design. Looks like I could incorporate this into my existing setup? But it looks like the length would be my issue :violent1: Oh well, thanks for the great idea for my next build.

Love your 65 Gt Dart build BIg OAk

The rate of the shocks are 300 per side. We got them from LST in Saskatoon, SK. The Part number for the spring is c19-14-1350n. He can put any style end on them as well.

Dave, prior to welding the plates to the inner kick panel, I put a nut on the bolt and tightened down to hold the plate/bolt in place. I left the nut on and used 3 fender washers and a nylon washers for spacers.

It open and closes super quiet.

Yeah the nylon washers make a huge difference IMO

Thanks BigOak for the part #s

The rate of the shocks are 300 per side. We got them from LST in Saskatoon, SK. The Part number for the spring is c19-14-1350n. He can put any style end on them as well.

Would it be possible to use the lift shocks from the rear hatch on the Durango?
They are very plentiful in junk yards and have eyes on both ends.
Thanks

Would it be possible to use the lift shocks from the rear hatch on the Durango?
They are very plentiful in junk yards and have eyes on both ends.
Thanks

I am not sure. I have never really looked at the ones off of a Durango. It just depends on the length and the lift weight.

I installed strong arm lifts on both hood and trunk in my 1966 dart. Much better idea IMO, back came off mitusbushi suv front off a a ford expolder. If anyone interested i can post pics

Everyone I've talked to have used the shocks from the Durango. That's the route I'm going.

-
Back