Getting started.

-

Randy Gilbert

Reaction score
IMG_20201024_160118.jpg
IMG_20201024_160129.jpg
IMG_20201024_160232.jpg
IMG_20201024_160237.jpg
Hey all. New member. Just got a 1971 Dart Swinger Special today and am starting to jump right in. It was made in Canada and was ran mainly in New Hampshire until these last few years. Normal rust that I can see right now. Looking forward to jumping into the 225 Slant 6. Already ordered a replacement fuel pump along with all new bulbs and a flasher and a starter relay. Will turn over if I short across the starter or the relay, but won't turn over otherwise. Pour a little gas down in the 1 barrel and bump it and it fires right up. The previous owner I believe began playing with some wiring so I hope he didn't mess up the ignition switch or any wiring under the dash (can already tell the add on gauges are hotwired in.). I've tried to add a couple of pics. But not quite allowing it it seems.
Does any of the gurus here know about this starter? Looks like it's the solenoid and starter together and fully encased with just the fender mounted relay going to it. If you guys know something I'm missing please let me know. Looking forward to this!
Randy

Welcome to the pond.
Your starter is a newer compact type and judging by the stickers, looks like it is a reman. Changing to a compact starter is a common upgrade, faster rpm and lighter.
From what you are saying the starter is probably ok because afterall it DOES spin the engine.
Could be a bad fender mounted starter relay. But if not, you'll have to start trouble shooting back to the ignition switch.

FYI, there is a separate slant six section here with a lot of info.
Also electrical so that might be a better place to ask about your non start issues.

$17 ignition switch.....1 hour labor removing it ...another to install...unless your really inclined...

Thanks. If I need to move this just let me know. Think I was going to just post as I did the restorations. I thought that would be the case as far as the starter and relay. Already been to Rockauto and ordered all new bulbs and such along with that relay. I just hope that's it.

No need to move the post. Only a moderator can do it anyway.

It's just that you will probably have better responses if you post your questions by category.

Good luck!

Thanks. If I need to move this just let me know. Think I was going to just post as I did the restorations. I thought that would be the case as far as the starter and relay. Already been to Rockauto and ordered all new bulbs and such along with that relay. I just hope that's it.
Welcome to FABO. I moved it to restorations. Starting with electrical it could have gone there. LOL What's next to fix? Brakes? I think it will be happy in the restorations forums. By the way, what's next? :poke::lol:

Well I need to get it full on running. It turns over but no fire yet. Got to get the fuel pump changed first thing. Then the starting issue. This thing was made originally with no radio either. There's not even an antenna mount through the body. And of course since it was a northern car, no AC. It does have this hood lock that I'd never seen before. Like a barrel lock you'd see on a soda machine. Had me buffaloed for a while!

Well I need to get it full on running. It turns over but no fire yet. Got to get the fuel pump changed first thing. Then the starting issue. This thing was made originally with no radio either. There's not even an antenna mount through the body. And of course since it was a northern car, no AC. It does have this hood lock that I'd never seen before. Like a barrel lock you'd see on a soda machine. Had me buffaloed for a while!
Get r done! We can help if you need us. Here's my 70. Yours is very close.

052.JPG

-
Back