Getting steering coupler down last half inch

-

Sirsmiley9

Reaction score
I can’t seem to get this down that list bit to get a roll pin through it has anyone got any tips

image.jpg

Are you lined up with the master spline? Has your column ever been collapsed, now too short?

Are you lined up with the master spline? Has your column ever been collapsed, now too short?
Well the only chance it could have been collapsed was getting it off because I replaced the k frame, but the coupler is lined up and on

It may just be the photo but what's inside the rollpin hole? Could it be binding

It may just be the photo but what's inside the rollpin hole? Could it be binding

Yes there is part of the old roll pin left in the hole that is binding with the top of the sector shaft. Back it off, knock the remains of that old roll pin out and go again.

That roll pin hole should be clean inside so you can drive the new roll pin in.

Last edited:
Pull it back, small wire wheel on drill and clean those splines. And a small wire brush to clean inside of bore. I use the round wire brush and push it in and out a few times. Anti-sieze it.

Pull it back, small wire wheel on drill and clean those splines. And a small wire brush to clean inside of bore. I use the round wire brush and push it in and out a few times. Anti-sieze it.
Everything said above and use a fine sharp file to clean up / smooth / remove burrs & trash from each spline and the groove that each spline slides into.

The splines are interrupted by the cutaway for the pin. I would have a binding problem when the coupler was to start on e the second splines. I found I could put a stack of shop manuals in the drivers seat under the steering wheel to hold the column up closer to aligned, then wiggle the heck out of the coupler. Wire brush and a little lube will help too.

Even a little grit in or a rolled edge on the splines on either part can hinder assembly. Heavy forcing of it on can wind up galling it for ya'.

-
Back