Getting tired of driving auto...

-

Asktoro

Reaction score
I'm driving home and give my suv a little gas, I can literally hear the trans screaming bloody murder when I know I could have shifted if it was manual. It's annoying waiting for everything to catch up.

I plan to race my imaginary project (I'll have it at some point) and automatic is good for that, but... I see some folks (rarely) who use stick at the strip.

Any of you guys race with stick? Experiences? Comments? Win more than you lose?

Automatics are more consistant, run to run but sticks are more fun !!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPagnRDGHw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPagnRDGHw&feature=related[/ame]

I'm getting tried of driving it self, so many dipsticks out there and now with expensive fuel its a snails pace taking off from a light

I would never use a manual on the street. Too much to pay attention to, then to worry what gear its in and my left foot stays planted on top of the brake pedal.

Sounds like it needs a 3,000 stall converter, lol

after owning a stick car I don't ever want an automatic. I don't care if its more consistent on the drag strip. Its also more consistent at being BORING!:thumrigh:

Right now the dart is a lame automatic. Soon to be 4 speed (have most of the parts!:hello1:). I hate the automatic but I am getting good at column shifting it. still no 4 speed.

I have both an automatic in my Duster and a 4-speed in my Dart. The automatic wins bracket races (consistency, easier on parts). The Dart wins on the street in the FUN department. Both are street cars, but I almost always take the Dart for cruises.

I have both an automatic in my Duster and a 4-speed in my Dart. The automatic wins bracket races (consistency, easier on parts). The Dart wins on the street in the FUN department. Both are street cars, but I almost always take the Dart for cruises.

I agree, I have had both, and am currently doing a 4 speed conversion in my 69 dart. In my opinion there is simply no comparison to pounding a 4 speed through the gear's versus an auto. I don't care about consistency, I care about how many gears I can get rubber in! :thumrigh:

I am working on a Duster drag car thats going to be an auto. I have taken my 4 speed Dart to the track a few times and am not very consistant with it. I do have a blast though. Just need more track time.

I here you on the autos and like the manual for the street. I am always yelling shift you pile of junk or even no don't shift now. LOL I find my self manualy shifting the autos and taking them in and out of OD if they have.

I used to be a died - in - the - wool stick man took, until I got old. Osteo-arthritis happened. No longer can I handle the high pedal pressures of a clutch.

So I'm finding out how much FUN it is to play with an auto. I'm thinking about sticking a manual valve body in the car.

4-on-the-floor!!!

:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

Google Ozark Mountain SuperShifters. these guys run some high horse cars all sticks.

Also Google UMTR -- United Manual Transmission Racers.

I usually go to at least one of their events every summer.
I have all the parts to convert my 68 to a 4 speed, just need to take it off the road for awhile.

I used to be a died - in - the - wool stick man took, until I got old. Osteo-arthritis happened. No longer can I handle the high pedal pressures of a clutch.

So I'm finding out how much FUN it is to play with an auto. I'm thinking about sticking a manual valve body in the car.

Oh that is the only way, plus a high stall converter.

Then you can shift when ever you want--fast--and no clutch to work. Besides having my left foot resting on the brake pedal saved me a few tickets and accidents.

Just burns lots of fuel. If there is any strong point of a manual trans its the better mpg over the long run.

Plus with a high enough stall, you can take off so easy and at 8--10 mph get that knockout punch when you punch the gas, try doing that with a manual trans--well I guess you could abuse the clutch if its strong enough.

I think a 4,000 9 inch hard shifting auto trans--with full manual valve body would surprise many of folks how much fun it can be. So easy to drive and so wicked

Actually, with the 389 Ford gear, I'm having enough fun with a huge "van" converter. I doubt it has been reworked. I don't have a tach yet, so haven't tried to figure out "what" it might have for stall.

It's sure a hell of a lot of fun to "ease" away from a light, shift to second about 3 seconds later, and the whole damn group of 'em back there still hasn't put their latte back in the cupholders.

-
Back