Geyser on my radiator

-

Tof

Reaction score
Hi all ,

well i rebuild a small block 318 with some new and used parts .
yesterday i doing the first start and at the beginning it's ok , the starter is ok and the idle is exellent but after five/eight minutes i have the colling fluide jump as a geyser on the radiator .

- First the radiator is not oem , its radiator of Mazda 323 with reducing hose for the adaptation and it's fixed under the level of a oem radiator ( the caps is at 3/3.5in under the level of the stock radiator ) .

- Second the geyser wen the engine is hot is important but at the exhaust i have not some smoke white .

one idea please ?

excuse my bad accent i am not américan , my respect Gi ....

Check for a stuck thermostat,or just replace it so you know it,s working properly.What fan setup are you using?

Hi , i remove the thermostat for a test ......

for the cooling i have not a fan for the moment juste the radiator and at the dashbord a can see the température at the half wen the geyser jump ....

did you fill the heater core up before you ran it there might be traped air in there. i know is should work it,s way out but **** happines.

Sounds like it had an air pocket or was possibly overheated (even though the dash gauge showed it wasn't overheated). You do need a thermostat for proper operation. If you don't have a thermostat installed the water flows too quickly for the radiator to absorb heat properly therefore it can actually over heat without a thermostat. You also need a fan as with no air movement past the radiator it can overheat. You said your dash gauge is only showing half way. That's fine if the gauge is reading correct but rarely does a factory dash gauge read correctly so it may have been a lot hotter than you thought it was. I'd try an aftermarket gauge or laser heat gun to test the accuracy of the dash gauge.

Sounds like it had an air pocket or was possibly overheated (even though the dash gauge showed it wasn't overheated). You do need a thermostat for proper operation. If you don't have a thermostat installed the water flows too quickly for the radiator to absorb heat properly therefore it can actually over heat without a thermostat. You also need a fan as with no air movement past the radiator it can overheat. You said your dash gauge is only showing half way. That's fine if the gauge is reading correct but rarely does a factory dash gauge read correctly so it may have been a lot hotter than you thought it was. I'd try an aftermarket gauge or laser heat gun to test the accuracy of the dash gauge.
I agree....Air Pocket....one thing I was taught was to leave the water neck and thermostat out....fill the system through the water neck until you can see it at the top...put the thermostat back in and attach the water neck....continue to fill the remainder from the radiator opening and this will eliminate the possiblity of an air pocket in the block or heads....now I have an electric pump and I drilled two 1/8" holes in the thermostat...I filled it and run the pump for 5 minutes until I saw no more air bubbles at the radiator opening...

Air Pocket....one thing I was taught was to leave the water neck and thermostat out....fill the system through the water neck until you can see it at the top...put the thermostat back in and attach the water neck....continue to fill the remainder from the radiator opening and this will eliminate the possiblity of an air pocket in the block or heads....now I have an electric pump and I drilled two 1/8" holes in the thermostat...I filled it and run the pump for 5 minutes until I saw no more air bubbles at the radiator opening...

Ok. So you do it so you don't get an air bubble. What does that have to do with the original posters question?

Ok. So you do it so you don't get an air bubble. What does that have to do with the original posters question?
The air bubble will eventually come around to the radiator opening and shove a large amount of water out of opening or your overflow...and that was the best translation I could get with his French accent....remember you were right also that's why I quoted you

The air bubble will eventually come around to the radiator opening and shove a large amount of water out of opening or your overflow...and that was the best translation I could get with his French accent....remember you were right also that's why I quoted you

OK. I see where you were going now. Sorry I mis-understood.

I all , well the thermostat is remove and i install a original used radiator for a small block but for Van .....

post-123-1278155924.jpg

...... i want a ******* colling !

Next i restart , yes without the caps in idle i have not a geyser (yes!) a small geyser aparate wen i accelerate but with the caps i have not pressure in the system , thanks it's okais YOU ARE THE BEST !

After roding ACC i drain the oil and change the filter but wen remove the plug i see may very water and after the oil ( very very small as thimble ) , for next put some 15w50 .....

post-123-1278185006.jpg

Finaly wen i remuate the oil in the pan i see with hight light some marbling in the oil , and question : it's condensation or bug with the cylinder head ( the head gasket is a new and assemblate with "hermetic" and torquer at 12kg/m or 90ft.lbs) .

post-123-1278185078.jpg

Yes but the original color of this oil is green and this oil is not carbonned there have 1 hour , now i think i do run and see after one week .

Yes but the original color of this oil is green and this oil is not carbonned there have 1 hour , now i think i do run and see after one week .

I agree with snake it doesn't look good. It's a good idea to check it in a few days or week. If you don't run an engine but short trips they will build up condensation. Running it a few days and checking it again will show you. If you have access to a radiator pressure tester you can pressurize the system to check for internal leaks. Very handle tool.

Unless I missed it and I'm blind, I don't see a fan on the water pump. I believe that is your cause of the hot water.

Unless I missed it and I'm blind, I don't see a fan on the water pump. I believe that is your cause of the hot water.
I agree and your not blind...I don't see one either...that oil looks real bad also...If he has a head leak on the exhaust side he would see bubbles in the radiator...M2C

Hi Gi's

i restart my engine for testing the news radiator , hmm realy its a old radiator of Van b350 , and the problem is gone .

The bug why the first radiator is very small and without the fan the temp' jump very fast and next is the geyser .

-
Back