Ghetto damper removal trick...

-
I vote genius! I have to replace the balancer on my wife's 04 Dakota, with a 4.7 motor. I was dreading trying to use the same 3 clawed bite from the back puller I had to use to get the balancer off the old motor. Now I will use my good puller like he used, and use it the same way. That will keep me from having to take all the crap off the front of the motor!

form becomes function....Wanna bust a padlock? Take 2 1" open ended wrenches and put the openings around each side of the shackle. Now pull the wrenched together against each other like your using bolt cutters. The open ends will force the shackle apart. Most hardware store locks will break under this 100:1 leverage.
lock.jpg

I vote genius! I have to replace the balancer on my wife's 04 Dakota, with a 4.7 motor. I was dreading trying to use the same 3 clawed bite from the back puller I had to use to get the balancer off the old motor. Now I will use my good puller like he used, and use it the same way. That will keep me from having to take all the crap off the front of the motor!

Steering wheel puller used here --------

I wonder if he bent the pulley?

I got my balancer changed, and this trick worked great. I had to flip my puller over, so it would sink far enough into the balancer to get the wrenches in place. Pulled it off like a charm. Old balancer is in the scrap metal pile, and I don't know or care if it bent the pulley.....cause it had slipped and wobbled anyway.

-
Back