girdle or not???

-

Big_Al

Reaction score
I am building a 74 360 that will have a s475 turbo on it. balanced rotating assembly. im going for 650hp+. I plan on half filling the block. Is a gridle worth it or not?

IMO - put 4 Program 2-bolt caps on it, stud the mains, and it's as good as you're going to get. As long as it's well balanced and the crank's good you should have no issues except maybe block heat. I'd also plan to run an external oil cooler...

it already has studs in it. don't you think the stock caps would last? motor will be freshened once a year atleast or until It blows up. I will be putting a oil cooler on it too.

No. The caps are a known weak point. The studs help a bit, but the caps will distort in the center even when the ends are held down well by the studs.

650+ hp on a stock block is a lot. The stock caps will hold for a while but the programs would be better. The 74 360 might have the thicker bores according to the old Chrysler literature but at any rate I would bore it the bare minimum to get the bore perfect .020 good if you can bore it only .010 great! Need to sonic it for sure! The closer you get to 700hp the harder I would look for a X or resto block!! LOL

lol.. Wrong time of year to look... Circle trackers and drag racers from the "frozen north" are just getting things together and with tax refunds and bonuses it'sa "fat" time of year. It always takes longer to get anything done in the early spring.

I'm using MRLs billet main caps, arp studs and hughes stud girdle. Many people will say no girdle, but for what I have into the motor it can't hurt. No issues, not a race car but it gets wound out lots. 1000miles on it so far. 605HP. Cheers

Cheap insurance! I install one in EVERY motor I build.

-
Back