Giving my Z-bar some love...

-

JoesEdge

Reaction score
Not sure if this belongs in this section, but since it's transmission related and my car is a 3 speed (A230 - not much info on these) and not a 4 speed I figured this would be it.

So, I have this problem...it's called A.D.D. (Attention Devficit Disorder). I first started working on my brake problem (I have another thread on that), when I noticed that my clutch linkages were all loose. I knew they rattled but now I knew why. So, because of the A.D.D. I forgot about the brakes and started working on the clutch linkages.

So, I noticed that the ball stud was loose, I had no return spring on the clutch arm, the clutch rod needed replacing, the spring clip for the clutch pedal rod to Z-bar was missing. I had previously bought a clutch rod kit which came with the return spring.

I figured I'd remove the Z-bar so I can service it and clean it up. That wasn't an easy task with Hooker headers. I also noticed that I'm going to have a hell of a time replacing the starter if it ever goes out. It's trapped. (Remind me why I bought a MOPAR again...)

The part that made things difficult was finding the right wrench to fit on the ball stud on the engine side. The nut on the inner fender side is a 7/8" if I remember right.

I used an adjustable wrench to finally loosen the ball stud, but that wasn't easy with my short stubby arms and not enough light where I needed it. I had my son loosen the 7/8" nut on the fender side while I was deep in my engine bay. He had to keep spinning it until I was able to adjust the wrench properly and it on the ball stud. You can only use an open-ended wrench but that should be pretty obvious.

Once the nut was off, I had to wrestle the Z-bar out, I have clue how I got it out, but I did. Then I realized there's this spring clip of some sort that was probably holding the Z-bar to the ball stud. Maybe if I had removed that, the z-bar would have come out easier.

After it was out, I went over to Sears to get me a wrench that fit the ball stud. I found that the 23 mm wrench fit the best (uh, why is this metric?). I hope that will help with installation. Hopefully now, I won't have to keep monkeying around with the adjustable wrench.

I don't have a new Z-bar kit so I'm going to just clean up my old parts and re install them for now. I couldn't finish the job this weekend, so I'll post more next weekend.

Here's some pics:

Attachments

• 20140419_184022.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 312
  • 20140419_184004.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 20140420_141634.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 307
w00t! Try a mini-starter next time, their junkyard cheap and the OEM ones never die.

w00t! Try a mini-starter next time, their junkyard cheap and the OEM ones never die.

Yeah, but how am I going to get the old one out? For now the starter works, but I will be hating those headers when it does go out.

Turn front wheels all the way to right. You have to clock the starter as you pull it out. Those hookers are a bunch easier to get a starter in and out than with Dougs/tti headers.

The mini starters kicks ***. Take the plastic connector off the positive stud. I get all mine at the pick and pulls on 1/2 off days.

Turn front wheels all the way to right. You have to clock the starter as you pull it out. Those hookers are a bunch easier to get a starter in and out than with Dougs/tti headers.

The mini starters kicks ***. Take the plastic connector off the positive stud. I get all mine at the pick and pulls on 1/2 off days.

What year vehicles? I heard 90's Dakota's. What about RAM trucks or vans with the Magnum V8's? Will those work too?

Okay, so can someone tell me what the plastic bushing is for in the following pic?

Attachments

• 20140423_081630.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 194
Okay, so can someone tell me what the plastic bushing is for in the following pic?

It's for a 1970 steering lock rod. Not sure what year your Duster is, but the ball stud is from a '70. Looks like someone removed the steering lock linkage already. No big deal. :thumbup:

It's for a 1970 steering lock rod. Not sure what year your Duster is, but the ball stud is from a '70. Looks like someone removed the steering lock linkage already. No big deal. :thumbup:

It's a '74 Duster. When I looked it up on Brewers and Passon's I didn't see that bushing on any of the parts they had listed. That part to of the ball stud bracket made things harder to get it out from behind the headers.

I'm wondering if dropping the z-bar from the top would be easier. I plan to put it back this Saturday morning. I painted the z-bar just to make it look nice. Not like anyone is going to see it, but whatever. lol

I finished reinstalling my z-bar. It was bitter/sweet.

It sweet because it went back in really easy, but it was bitter because I think I stripped one of the bolt holes in the bell housing. I barely put any torque on it too.

I put a little bit of white multi-purpose grease on the plastic bushings. I hope that wasn't a bad idea. I worried about it accumulating dust and grinding the plastic to bits, but that's what the seal is for, right?

I can say that the clutch rod rattles have gone away.

Here's some pics after I painted some of the parts.

Attachments

• 20140429_163739.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 20140429_163748.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 123
Nice job,,

now don't forget about the brakes,,

hope it helps

Hah! Yeah, I need to jump back on that. This car is like never ending! There's always something to fix or improve. I'm going to try to work on the brakes Sunday since I'm going to the Edelbrock Car Show on Saturday.

-
Back