Giving up on 8-3/4" rear end

-

mickey_bigdaddy

Reaction score
Since these 8-3/4 rear ends are either elusive, overpriced or require too much investment to make what I want, I've decided to narrow and upgrade the 9-1/4" I just acquired for my Dart Sport. I need to find out the best way to make a 9-1/4" a suregrip. Anyone have a thread they can refer me to? I've done search to convert a non-suregrip to a suregrip and I can't find one.

Can't I just add the suregrip to the non-suregrip?

the sure-grip is the carrier, not the housing so, yes, you can take a housing and add a sure-grip to it.

I just did an A-body 9 1/4. Housing was from a 80's pick-up, sure-grip and 3.90 gearset was from a 2001 Ram truck. Ends were 8 3/4 from Moser and the axles were 31 spline (9 1/4) with 8 3/4 flange and bearing. Moser can make the axles but I had a set of 70 dana axles that they narrowed. Because the 9 1/4 can in millions of vehicles, parts are very cheap.

I did the same thing 69MOPE did. I sent my 9.25 housing to Moser thru UPS. They installed 8 3/4 ends with with their alloy axles. You swap in a new sure grip differential to make it a sure grip. To be more specific, it's the part the ring gear bolts to if you're not sure. Try Randy's Ring & Pinion. They list a factory style Traction Lok for $405 and a Dura Grip for $470. Very easy to set up. To avoid any confusion, I had mine narrowed to stock A-body length . I used a 8.25 for reference.

Since these 8-3/4 rear ends are either elusive, overpriced or require too much investment to make what I want,

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/4395085481.html

Here is a B body rear, throw a suregrip and whatever gear you want in it, move the perches in and bolt it in. You could potentially find a complete center section to bolt in already set up with a suregrip. You could probably get this done for around 6-7 hundred, if you are patient and shop around.

BTW, IF you consider it I would offer 200 for it. I paid 100 for mine complete, added all new parts, suregrip and new gears, I put it together for just a shade over 600.

You will like the way it fits into your Dart Sport, it will bring the rear tires out to match the front width.

I installed a b-body rear end in my Dart Sport, it was easy and cheap.
Check out my build thread, there is a lot of detailed pics and info in there about this.
I got my internal parts from Dr. Diff, his service was great and his prices were good. Don't be afraid to call him, he knows his stuff. He is even a member on here!

Get a true track for the 9.25, and see your local driveline shop and have them perform the housing alterations, axles and set up.

Sure-grip is a mopar term, saying what you're saying isn't going to happen.

You can't put a sure-grip in a 9.25.

Sure-grip is just a name for limited slip that the manufacture uses to stand out from another manufactures term.

-
Back