Glass hood decklid and bumpers

-

viperredduster

Reaction score
Does anyone know the weight differences on a 71 duster off the top of their head? Fiberglass v. steel.

Decklid
Hood
Front and rear bumpers

Thanks,
Drew

I know that the average fiberglass hood weighs around 22 to 24 lbs. Not sure what a steel one weighs but I am sure it is quite a bit more, especially if you are looking at doing bumpers and trunk lid as well.

well you're in luck. i just ran outside with my scale and my 71 duster hood (just the stock one with no scopes) and it weighs 56lbs (without springs attached).

I'm going with a glass lift off hood and now that i weighed stock hood im shocked at the weight savings.

well you're in luck. i just ran outside with my scale and my 71 duster hood (just the stock one with no scopes) and it weighs 56lbs (without springs attached).

I'm going with a glass lift off hood and now that i weighed stock hood im shocked at the weight savings.

Thank you man. So I am looking to loose about 30 with the hood. And possible 30 more with the trunk. If I do the bumpers you think I can get the total to 75 or 80?

i remember 70duster440 (i think thats his screen name) had some fiberglass bumpers so maybe he'll no the exact difference.

I am not so sure that you will get 30 lbs out of the trunk lid, but I am sure you will save a good chunk out of the bumpers. I am still suprised at 30 lbs on just the hood. Wow, can not wait till I get mine in now

Let me know when you get yours in man. And now I can't decide of I should just get a flat glass one and do some sort of cold air system. I just like my gloss black flat hood... What a delima!

I kept the flat hood on my Duster for a long time until I finally added the 2 inch carb spacer, then I had to do something. I would have prefered to keep the flat hood on my Scamp as well but that didn't fit either.

I kept the flat hood on my Duster for a long time until I finally added the 2 inch carb spacer, then I had to do something. I would have prefered to keep the flat hood on my Scamp as well but that didn't fit either.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I am gonna try a 1 inch spacer on my air gap intake and hope I dont have issues.

My '71 Duster was all steel and weighed 2850. All of the inner structure was cut out of the hood and trunklid.d Just left a ring around the edge and made them pin-on. I had a fiberglass front bumper, however and NO interior, just one fiberglass seat. Still, not bad for a big block car.

I just weighted a rear bumper from a '70 duster surprisingly only 18 pounds,i'd go with a glass hood on your car and leave everything else stock it looks so much better,especially the chrome bumpers..my interior is all stock except for the six point bar,my exterior is all stock except for the six pack hood and it weights in at 3180 looks stock and runs 11's all day,people love it:mrgreen:

My 73 Dart bumpers weigh = front 75lbs with brackets rear=55lbs with brackets, removed wheel wells=15lbs each and rear side windows with sheet metal still attached=20lbs each i still have fiberglass doors to mount and lexan windows and mount the fiberglass hood and lots of extra metal removed and replaced steering column with a 15lb column with aluminun steering wheel and 2/3 cut off the dash, im hoping to be around2600lbs or maybe less with a aluminum headed 440.

-
Back