Glass install

-

moparmarks

zippindippintie
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am ready to install the windshield and rear window in my 72 Dart. I've installed a lot of the glue in glass in E and 71-4 B bodies but I've never done the gasket type other than my 73 W200 like 30 years ago and used a string and no goo. Have the Precision gaskets and a tube of the goo. I have read the FSM and I see myself making a big mess. Most of the glass guys around hear don't like the old gasket type and really I don't think they are very good at them and am nervous about some yahoo working over my paint. Could use some tips from those in the know. I do have help.
Many thanks

20190726_113640.jpg

I've never done it. Plan to do several. Many on here have said it's a piece of cake. Search around and you'll find more tips than you'll need. I think a new gasket is a must thi.

I had a fella put in a new gasket in the rear window of my 71' this past winter without any adhesive. I asked why he didn't want to use adhesive and his answer was that it will leave small air pockets between the pinch weld and gasket, which in turn will trap moisture and eventually leads to rust.

This is a guy who has been in the trade for over 40yrs and roped in many windows. He offered to use adhesive if I liked, but I'm not one to doubt his expertise, especially when its beyond my level of experience. So mine went in dry. However, he did apply a sealant on the pinch weld which dried before the install.

By the way, you've got a spiffy looking car! Great color.

Edited to add: the adhesive doesn't allow the moisture to drain which leads to entrapment and then rust issues.

Last edited:
Use wd-40 on gasket, then a flat piece of (flat) nylon rope, one person on outside and one person on inside,i put mine in without sealer, been in 2 years, no leaks

I am ready to install the windshield and rear window in my 72 Dart. I've installed a lot of the glue in glass in E and 71-4 B bodies but I've never done the gasket type other than my 73 W200 like 30 years ago and used a string and no goo. Have the Precision gaskets and a tube of the goo. I have read the FSM and I see myself making a big mess. Most of the glass guys around hear don't like the old gasket type and really I don't think they are very good at them and am nervous about some yahoo working over my paint. Could use some tips from those in the know. I do have help.
Many thanks

View attachment 1715519611

Never done it but watched closely. This guy made it look easy.

Ever watch a master at work?

^ This. Years back, the guy who came out for my Demon used a pair of those. If the gasket is not new, you'll need them for the stiff corners.

-
Back