Glass storage rack

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I ran into a dilemma. I got a good deal on 2 new windshields. One for each cuda and couldent pass em up, so i bought them, i also have a spare used un tinted windshield, am looking to buy a tinted rear glass for my 94 chevy pickup that i am going to reskin the roof on due to major hail damage, so that needs storage as well, plus as i get further into the cudas i will be pulling the coupe rear windows and need storage for them , and i need to get a replacement windshield for my 88 shelby z which is a stalled out project.

Anyhow now i need out of the way storage for a lot of breakable stuff. I had a sheet of 3/4" plywood, some old 2x4s, 2" drywall screws, and some high density foam. I made an 8 slotted rack for glass storage in my loft. I am not a wood worker by any means, but it took me about 2 hours. I thought about welding together steel tubing for this, but wanted it to be lightweight, fast to make, and with plywood i wouldent have to pad everything. It wont damage glass by itself as easily as metal will. Now its out of the way, and safe. Nobody goes up there but me. This thing works great.

Matt

20181211_204857.jpg

20181211_211508.jpg

20181211_211522.jpg

Last edited:
Nice! I have to figure out something for early cuda back windshields, have three to store!

Heres the rough dimensions for anybody who may want to duplicate this. Its 4 foot wide. The slots are 2" wide, and the teeth are 2" wide x number of slots you want, total height is i believe 18" slotted height is 16" cant remember from last night. This was a quick fast built rack. I can measure the slot height for anybody who wants it.

I built a crate,a box to hold my glass. Side glass too. Just padded everything, including 2 rear winows for my 65 barracuda.
Its hard to store those big chunks of glass. At least now its all tied in and i can move it with my forklift.

I built a crate,a box to hold my glass. Side glass too. Just padded everything, including 2 rear winows for my 65 barracuda.
Its hard to store those big chunks of glass. At least now its all tied in and i can move it with my forklift.
I've made racks with 2X4's and drilled holes in them with a hole saw for round dowels. Then used wood glue to
secure the dowels.

I've made racks with 2X4's and drilled holes in them with a hole saw for round dowels. Then used wood glue to
secure the dowels.
Great idea w the dowels and wood glue, however i wanted to do this fast with what i had lying around, plus i am not really a woodworker. Actually allergic to the shavings and dust.

-
Back