Glove box latch??

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I have a 67 Barracuda with a 4-speed in which the glove box door just closes without a latch. This is the way it was from the factory. I'm trying to figure out a way in order to make a latch of some type to hold it shut. Everytime I smack second gear hard the glove box will fly open!:angry7:

The ashtray rattles but I got a way of fixing that by installing the correct rubber bumpers.

I was thinking maybe a cabinet door latch or something like that but maybe someone has a better, cleaner method.

Anyone??

Check out a '68. They have a latch. Not sure if the door is different but one wouldn't be hard to find.
Dallas

Check out a '68. They have a latch. Not sure if the door is different but one wouldn't be hard to find.
Dallas

Yeah I've thought about that but didn't want to lose the 67 appearance with the large chrome handle. I might go to that if I can't seem to get anything else to work.

On the convertibles, Mopar usually put a lock (and latch) on the glove box doors. It was an option on other models over the years. I had a 66 Dart GT coupe that had one. (Thought it was wierd putting a key lock on what is essentially a cardboard box.) When you find one, remember to get the hasp, too.

Not familiar with early a-bodies, but could you use a couple of small strips of velcro on the inside of the glove box door and frame?

The 67 model had a spring loaded door with no latch or a lock cylinder added to the same handlein covertible. My carpooler/passenger just loved to play with my glovebox door. Trying to make it stand at half way. 68 up got a latch and tethers, no spring.

Velcro dots? Just trying to make the least obvious, most effective solution....

Heres an idea. I have a magnetic catch thingy that was once on a glass door of a sterio cabinet.

Heres an idea. I have a magnetic catch thingy that was once on a glass door of a sterio cabinet.

Yeah that's what I talking about in my first post. The magnetic or the non-magnetic type. You know the non-magnetic type with rollers. I was going to look at them whenever I get to Lowes and see which one would mount easier.

It wouldn't take very much velcro to hold it closed I don't believe but when I hit second gear it is one heck of a jerk!

My question is along these above lines. How many springs did the glove box door have? I have the dash out of the car and my 67 Barracuda only has one spring on it. There is a provision on the other hinge for a spring, but I didn't find one in the dash or laying around on the floor.

My question is along these above lines. How many springs did the glove box door have? I have the dash out of the car and my 67 Barracuda only has one spring on it. There is a provision on the other hinge for a spring, but I didn't find one in the dash or laying around on the floor.

You might not believe this but that's ok LOL!

But yesterday I removed the glove box door and hinges (going to repaint the whole dash) and found that only ONE of the hinges has a spring. I was wondering the same thing. I was just about to ask the same question on this thread but I believe you answered it for me. If I could find another spring for the provision then I would have two and I bet that would hold it shut. But that would be hard to find I guess.

There are all kinds of nifty fasteners in RVs, maybe you can come up with something from a RV dealer

That's true. I was looking at it yesterday and believe the old cabinet magnet will do the trick.

-
Back