Glove box pops open under mild acceleration

-

jwclaus85

Reaction score
I have a 1967 dodge dart that recently inherited a gen 3 Hemi. The style of glove box in these cars does not seem to have a latch. It uses a weak magnet. What's the best solution?

bolt-1650269476.jpg

I have a 1967 dodge dart that recently inherited a gen 3 Hemi. The style of glove box in these cars does not seem to have a latch. It uses a weak magnet. What's the best solution?

I thought 67 Dart used this kind of latch assembly.

s-l500.jpg

Push button with a tab that retracted when the button was pushed.

There is a spring loaded bar that the tab hooks into when the lid is closed.This bar is adjustable.

That's not a glove box cover but a Performance Indicator. My first Barracuda was a 1967 4 speed 273 Commando. I knew I threw a good 1-2 shift when the door opened and even better when junk flew out.

IIRC, it did not have a magnet but a spring loaded hinge. My current 68 has the push-button catch. Maybe you could find a 68-69 lid or just add a magnetic catch from the hardware store.

My 66 Barracuda race car had the same type of spring loaded glove box door. I used to throw all of my old time tickets into the glove box. Once on a run, the car hooked hard, the door popped open, and I was showered with little pieces of paper. Scared the sh*t out of me until I realized what had happened.

66 racecar.jpg

That's not a glove box cover but a Performance Indicator. My first Barracuda was a 1967 4 speed 273 Commando. I knew I threw a good 1-2 shift when the door opened and even better when junk flew out.

IIRC, it did not have a magnet but a spring loaded hinge. My current 68 has the push-button catch. Maybe you could find a 68-69 lid or just add a magnetic catch from the hardware store.
sounds like a sweet car! the problem in my case is that I already have a custom facia on the current cover. I really want to stick with it.

My 66 Barracuda race car had the same type of spring loaded glove box door. I used to throw all of my old time tickets into the glove box. Once on a run, the car hooked hard, the door popped open, and I was showered with little pieces of paper. Scared the sh*t out of me until I realized what had happened.

View attachment 1716057965
thats pretty sweet! what do you have under the hood in that cuda?

Small neodymium magnet or some sheetrock screws if you really want to knock this one outta the park.

The 67 is a one year only hinge design.

No magnet.

It has a spring on the hinge to keep it closed. If the spring is not there it will fall open.

Screenshot_20230302-093946.png

You can buy the parts to make it locking.

PXL_20230302_164456119.jpg

Last edited:
A glovebox lock was a $3.95 option (and highly recommended). You could probably find one on FABO with a wanted ad.

You will need a different glovebox door to add the lock on a 67, it isn't just drill a hole.

Alan

Yeah, I figured he would have to find another glovebox door... that seemed like the easiest way to do it.

Yeah, I figured he would have to find another glovebox door... that seemed like the easiest way to do it.
Post some photos of your door and your hinges.

I'm telling you that either you are missing the spring or it is installed reversed.

There is no way the door will open by itself if it's installed correctly

replace one of the rubber door bumpers with a round magnet with a recessed hole in the middle for a screw. Try looking in hardware for kitchen cabinet doors.

That's not a glove box cover but a Performance Indicator
Ahhhhh....The memories.
Went for a 'test drive' back in 1971 or so. A 1967 383 4sp GTS that was on a used car lot in Sunnyvale CA. The salesman drove it like it was stolen. Banged off 2nd. glove box banged open. Banged off 3rd....same result. Repeat, same AWESOME results! Didn't buy it ($1200, way too much).
A year later bought my '69 Swinger 340-auto from a Chh...Chev....SHivvy dealer. It chirped 2nd under full throttle....I was sold!

Yep I learned the hard way, locking glove box door for 67 requires an entire different door and lock. Good luck with both. I'm not surprised the GB opens with a gen 3. Maybe try magnet tape?
The 67 is a one year only hinge design.

No magnet.

It has a spring on the hinge to keep it closed. If the spring is not there it will fall open.

View attachment 1716057968

You can buy the parts to make it locking.

View attachment 1716057979

I have a spare set of hinges for the 67 model year and a door that is not drilled for the trim.I also know where a door with the trim and has the locking handle but no key if that helps you out if you are still looking

Hi I have a 1967 dodge dart that recently inherited a gen 3 Hemi. The style of glove box in these cars does not seem to have a latch. It uses a weak magnet. What's the best solution?
I have a spare set of hinges for the 67 model year and a door that is not drilled for the trim.I also know where a door with the trim and has the locking handle but no key if that helps you out if you are still looking
hello, thanks for reaching out! I think I would be most interested in the locking door. Any ideas on where to get a key? Also please tell me more about your car!

I wouldn't know where to get a key.Not sure if you could take it to a locksmith and have one made.
As far as your hinges do you have any pics to see if you are missing anything or a broken spring.The 2 sets of hinges I have I can't see them opening without alot of force but I could be wrong.
Do you have a door with the trim or not?

A locksmith can unlock the tumbler, and rekey it to match your trunk key. The only hitch is there are 3 to 5 keyways used back then.

Some were changed out due to a Chrysler TSB so the keyways would be more universal.

-
Back