Glovebox variances.

-

Durney

Reaction score
On to the next component in the restoration and because I rcvd so many spares with the car its difficult to know what is correct. Perhaps trim level or year related?
1- Spring loaded glovebox doors clearly an option OR was it used when the deluxe interior had the extra plastic cover and it compensated for weight?
2- cable stop vs bumper stops (likely a cable when not spring loaded?)
3- plastic vs cardboard inserts?
4- glovebox light?
5- locking vs plain?
FYI. My car is a deluxe interior 73' Duster

67 had over center type spring and only a pull on the door. No latch. No lock in the pull unless convertible. Cardboard box installed from behind dash. Hinges on sides of door.
68 model, no spring, catch cable and push button latch. Hinge across bottom of door. I dont know what was first year of plastic box installed through the door.

Redfish has it right, in 67 the glovebox door was on a spring hinge and didn’t have a lock. Neither did the seat backs of the front seat. In 68, new safety standards were put into place, and in this case the glovebox door was mandated to lock to keep **** from flying out in case of an accident, and the seat backs were made to lock to keep the rear seat passengers from flying forward and crushing the front seat passengers into the dash. Other safety mandates were crumple zones in the top of the dash, hidden under the dash pad, seatbelts became standard items, shoulder belts were an option, headrests became standard, or a high back seat back.

I have also found there a variances in the plastic glove box liner itself, depending if it came with optional interior lighting, and mounting points for the glove box liner changes between years.
My 73 and the 75 I just sold had different plastic liners, that will not interchange.

-
Back