GM carb on my 400

-

clairday modtop

there's no car like mopar
Reaction score
i noticed that my carb is stamped GM...... in was on my motor when i got it. is this comon??

My 86 360 Ramcharger came from the factory with a GM Quadra-Jet, it now has an Edelbrock on it. So to answer you question, it depends on the year of the motor and it's application. I think all of the early 400's had the TQ, but later in the 70's they might have started putting QJ's, not sure.

thats what i got. its out of a 77 van and the block is stamped 77 also. my brother is given me sh*% about how my dodge needs a GM carb to run lol. i'll be changeing it out soon lol.

If it runs good why change it? I'm a diehard Mopar guy but I've also rebuilt numerous Quadrajets for people and had great luck with them.

The Quadrajet carbs would pass Emissions testing, where the
Thermobogs would not.

The Q'jet is also an easy to tune carb,'if you are familiar with it.

My 2 cents.

If you think that GM Q-jet is confusing. We are the original owners of a '72 AMX Javelin (incl. an original Chrysler TorqueCommand aka: Torqueflite, an original Motorcraft carb, original MotorCraft igntion and original GM suspension parts). It's kind of a Frankenstein, but we love it!

Classic case of it is easier to buy stuff off the shelf than to engineer and build it yourself.
Rolls-Royce used GM electronics and A/C systems and Turbo transmission back in the 70s.
Ferarri used 400 turbos on their V12 400 sports coupe. A lot of their owners have now swapped in Vette 6 speeds now.
When my brother bought a 308GT4 it was missing both air pumps and the previous owner said that the Ferarri dealer wanted $1500 each as they were a super rare item.
I picked up 2 and sent them to him so it could pass the visual part of the smog inspection.........
$10 each for Chevette air pumps at the U-Pull-It!! That is what Ferarri used originally.

If you think that GM Q-jet is confusing. We are the original owners of a '72 AMX Javelin (incl. an original Chrysler TorqueCommand aka: Torqueflite, an original Motorcraft carb, original MotorCraft igntion and original GM suspension parts). It's kind of a Frankenstein, but we love it!

nice, didnt know you had a javalin, do you have a picture. i knew they used a chrysler transmission but i didnt know they used ford and gm parts too.

The joke of old was;

A - American
M - mutt
C - corp

We use it all .......

AMC was never really to healthy in the pocket book back in the day. They were able to afford a few things, but not much. They just did what we do, what ever works and works well is what we use.

In the mid and late 70's, Carter was having problem,s. Not sure what the deal was, but by 1984-ish, they went out of biz.

My '78 - 400 has a T-Q, but the vans came with QJ's very often.

LOL, Like I said, what ever works. nI just wouldn't settle on hearing, "It needs a GM part." crap. Some parts are just parts sold through the company that makes them. Carter T-Q's were also on '74 Ford 460 engines, IHC trucks. (They also came with 392 HEMI engines in them that were T-Q equiped.) Carters also came on Buicks and Chevys in the early days. Lots of dual quad version cars had Carters.

Chrysler started using Q-Jets around 84 or 85. Carter went out of business I think and was bought out by Federal-Mogul. They still make some Carter stuff-fuel pumps and carb kits. The TQ did not survive whatever happened. It's certainly not because the Q-Jet was a better carb. Just because it was all that was available. Too many people think that! Though the early-Pre smog Q-Jets can work on a Mopar, just leave your air breather on, don't tell anyone and keep your hood closed. I still prefer TQ's Chrysler most likely had fuel injection on the board by that time and couldn't get any other carbs anyplace. Carter also made some of the Q-Jets, I have one from a 69 Pontiac 428. I heard the reason was that Rochester couldn't keep up with demand and Carter made some, I don't know how many or how long.

The 318 4bbl cop cars I've searched from the mid 80s all had Quadrajets on them. I don't recall seeing any with Carter cast into it, all were Rochesters. GM & Ford had the engineering $s in those days to keep up with the smog requirements. TBI and later MPI gave better fuel control than the carburetor, which I think killed off a number of carburetor companies on both sides of the pond.

Classic case of it is easier to buy stuff off the shelf than to engineer and build it yourself.
Rolls-Royce used GM electronics and A/C systems and Turbo transmission back in the 70s.
Ferarri used 400 turbos on their V12 400 sports coupe. A lot of their owners have now swapped in Vette 6 speeds now.
When my brother bought a 308GT4 it was missing both air pumps and the previous owner said that the Ferarri dealer wanted $1500 each as they were a super rare item.
I picked up 2 and sent them to him so it could pass the visual part of the smog inspection.........
$10 each for Chevette air pumps at the U-Pull-It!! That is what Ferarri used originally.

No Ferrari never used the GM trans. Jaguar did on the XJ V12 Coupes/Sedans and X-type cars with autos used the GM Turbo-Hydromatic 400. The torque of the V12 and the girth of the XJ was murder on the Jaguar unit. That's why it is so common to pull a V12 from the XJ Coupe and swap in the GM Small block. I did one last year with my buddy who owns a 1976 Jaguar Coupe V12. Also remember all C5-C6 Vettes use a rear trans axle with the trans is in the back. 50/50 bias.

Not to be confused with all the details, but GM Delco was a supplier for GM as well as GM a/c units were built by Frigidaire (GM owned) in the 60s-80s.

Just like today Bosch, Hitachi, Nippon Denso they are 2nd tier suppiers for GM Ford and Chrysler LLC Toyota and so on. I swear you can't find a new car that uses anything other then Bosch injectors.

But back to the QuadraJunk, all kidding aside they QuadraJet carb was/is a great stock motor carb, some people swear by them. They are easy to work on and the small primaries are easy on fuel. I think the QuadraJet was the best all around carb for every day driving. Just like all things they became to complicated. For you stick with the QuadraJet and rebuld it when necessary. It's easy.

QuadraJets are very good carbs, if they aren't having internal leaking issues! Biggest problem I've seen with buying someelse's engineering, is that, you know you aren't getting their best. Dodge bought brakes from GM to put on the truck line, I'm not sure when that started, but I'd assume '94. Come to find out that the brakes from a '72 Chivvy will bolt right on my '95 Ram HD and although it keeps the price of repair down, it's waaayyy more than outdated. I mean it's downright scary with any kind of serious load attached.

Michaeluser,
Ferrari did use the TH 400 in the 400 SuperAmerica. My brother worked at a Ferrari shop for years and he is an expert on them. And he converted a few of them to sticks.
The TH400 was a great tranny but the lack of low end torque of the V12 and only 3 speeds with no overdrive and a heavy car made for a combo similar to a 4 cyl. Iron Duke engine mated to a Powerslide in an Impala equipped with a 2.76 rear end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_400

Michaeluser,
Ferrari did use the TH 400 in the 400 SuperAmerica. My brother worked at a Ferrari shop for years and he is an expert on them. And he converted a few of them to sticks.
The TH400 was a great tranny but the lack of low end torque of the V12 and only 3 speeds with no overdrive and a heavy car made for a combo similar to a 4 cyl. Iron Duke engine mated to a Powerslide in an Impala equipped with a 2.76 rear end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_400

Yeah that's a new one on me. I thought I knew all. DAMN it!

-
Back