Gm & Chrysler

-
Talks were on about such a possible thing, but stop when the market went nuts.

This is on the same level as the boy who wants to get laid for the first time and does not bother to look at what he is getting into,before thinking of the problems ahead.Its amazing who will sleep with who to save a company and a pay check.These people will spend endless money to steal ideas from each other,and then when things go in the shitter,its,oh your a very good freinds and we can work things out and be bigger than ever.If the people at the top would get there heads out of there asses and really get down on the work line and build a great car for cheap,they would not be in this mess,and get the top brass *** holes to stop taking there 2-10 millions of dollars a year salaray,this will help the problem.Years ago I told my wife the big three will history in ten years due to stupid thinking and paying over the top union fees,and building a cheap car that does not last worth a ****.The big three better get there act together real fast and the US goverment better start helping to solve the quality problem,or its a no win situation.Do this for a hour at rush hour on a over pass,take a few bottles of water and somehting to eat and watch how many jap cars pass you as compared to USA built cars.Here is a nother piont,the jap car cost 25-35 grand,some of the USA cars,15-25 grand for a new car,and your on a waiting list for a jap car,the US built cars,you can,t give them away,and they still brake down.People don,t want bull **** from a new car and there dealer,they want a great car to depend on and gas mileage,this is why they spend twice the amount for it,and get it,and have no problems.The attitude of the worker needs to change to build a great product and the company has to do it to,because if you thought the realastate bail out was big,wait till this starts going in the shitter,we are all screwed,mrmopartech

GM, CHRYSLER TALK MERGER:General Motors Corp. is in talks with Cerberus Capital Management LP about a possible merger with Chrysler LLC, a person familiar with the matter said late Friday. GM and Cerberus, which owns 80.1 percent of Chrysler, have been in preliminary talks for more than a month. "A lot of things are being discussed in the industry right now," the person said. The talks come amid great turmoil in the auto industry, particularly for Detroit's automakers, which are being further battered by the global financial crisis after coping with slumping sales amid a weak economy and high gas prices that drove buyers away from their profitable pickups and SUVs.

The Detroit News, October 11, 2008

Not too sure about this but heard rumours the current market and financial crisses may put GM one step closer to tits up.

In the off chance that GM buys (absorbs) Chrysler LLC, and in the off chance GM eliminates the Chrysler brands (minus Jeep), what are your thoughts about buying/owning Chrysler products in your future. This would, of course, depend on if you are somewhat brand loyal, like I am. Here are my thoughts (based on speculation that GM buys Chrysler) :

1) It might be 1987 all over again. Chrysler bought out AMC/Jeep/Renault and only kept Jeep. (that’s what they were after anyway). It took a few years to eliminate the AMC/Renault branded products and some of that turned into the Eagle division for an additional 10 years.

2) Look at the AMC branded products now. There is a good following and they are still out there for sale. Many people still use them for daily transportation, so the same can be true for Chrysler branded products after a 2008/2009 buyout or beyond. They are harder to find, but they are there.

3) I know I will always be able to find a Chrysler branded car in my lifetime, so I am not worried. I would love to see Chrysler as a company built cars for eternity, but this may not always work out that way. I am brand loyal to Chrysler products for my personal cars, but am open to other brands (foreign or domestic) for additional transportation. ( have 2 Dodges and a Ford now, and at one point, owned cars from all 3 "Big Three" American brands at one time as well as imports.) My heart does belong to Chrysler though.

What do you think?

Hard to say.....................

I just hope beyond hope that IF there is a merger, the execs have enough common sense to see that the limited edition cars will be an asset to the new corporations future.............

The Challengers, the Camaro's, etc.......should remain as-is, with their separate identities and historically based platforms.............

I'm not a corporate genius by any means, but to keep BOTH sides alive even in a merger seems like a no brainer................Supply would suffer, no doubt.....But if the economy improves a bit, that low supply of the icons could be a real boon to the corps.

Just my 2 trillion cents. (gotta be corporately minded here.......)

Just was a piece on the news this morning regarding the merger. GM/Chrysler is looking to the federal government to fund a portion of the merger.

As far as what i would do if it were to happen and everything but Jeep went away. There is nothing that Chrysler curretnly has in its line-up that I have a burning desire to own.

If I were to go buy a new car today it would have to be something that gets good mileage, be fun to drive and not look like an econo-box. Today I don't need a car with a lot of room and the vehicle that tickles my fancy and meets my needs is a Pontiac Solstice. I certainly like the Charger and Challenger but neither of those vehicles fit my needs (to big and not efficient enough for a daily driver). If i was in the market for a smaller sedan car the Avenger is very unique looking but the Chevy Malibu, Pontiac G6 or Ford Fusion are better cars.

If my wife had to replace our PT Cruiser GT turbo she wants a Chevy HHR SS and thats fine with me.

If I was to need to replace my Dakota today I don't know what I would get. My first Dakota (an 89) was a perfect size and met my needs perfectly. The 99 I have now is a great looking truck but its bigger and heavier. The 05 and now the 08 are even bigger and heavier. Hopefully the manufacturers will go full cylce and come out with a small pickup that gets decent mileage.

Monday, October 20, 2008
LATE & BREAKING NEWS
GM-CHRYSLER TALKS ADVANCE:Cerberus Capital Management LP founder Stephen Feinberg, a driving force behind the negotiations to combine General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC, is pushing for a rapid deal before both automakers are weakened further in this treacherous environment, say sources familiar with the situation. GM President Frederick Henderson and Vice Chairman Bob Lutz also want to conclude an agreement quickly, the sources said. Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner is said to subscribe to the logic of such a deal but seems more guarded about the prospect of putting together two money-losing automakers facing similar challenges, the sources said. Some GM directors share those concerns.

The Detroit News, October 18, 2008

The UAW and the Dealer network will also have something to say. Then, it'll have to be run past the government antitrust watchdogs. This won't happen fast, if it happens at all.

If it does happen, I give the whole thing about a year before it falls apart or goes bankrupt.

Nine out of ten Chevy's are still on the road.......the other one made it home.:-D.
Seriously........ there are more and more companies/people filling the niche for the parts that us Mopar aficionado’s require. All those once hard-to-find-parts priced in unobtanium, while now only coming down in price slightly, are much more readily available on the whole. The only thing that I’ve seen Dodge build in the last 10 years that even mildly piqued my interest was the Challenger, and everybody has seen where that’s going. On any average vehicle that is 3-4 years old, there is just about any significant repair part available from a jobber. Any factory part that is expensive or hard to get now will always be (and always has been) expensive and hard to get, no matter which one of the big three you are talking about. Selfishly speaking, in our lifetime, parts and cars will be still relatively plentiful. If you want to worry, watch out for liberal environmentalists trying to wipe out racing and old cars……..that is our worry now. I’m not taking away from the personal worries of dealers and the average Joe involved in the Chrysler automotive industry (I wish them well), but any likely scenario is totally not in ours or their hands, and decisions about peoples futures will be based solely in the accounting office piped up to the select few in theboardrooms.....nowhere else. However if GM buys Chrysler with the intent to shut it down, they better not be getting any bailout money from any government for that company. It is going to be a rough ride.
Daryl

Just thinking about it makes me sick. I've already been somewhat "turned off" from a future career in the auto industry by the way the auto companies of today are run, but if this merger happens then all bets are off. I'll go study and work for some commercial vehicle/engine company that isn't run entirely by bankers who know NOTHING about anything mechanical. I've always thought Chrysler was the only company remaining today that had the engineering potential to create something completely revolutionary. To see Chrysler get sucked dry and thrown out would be the proverbial stab in the heart.

i was at a dealer ship this am,,they spoke of this deal,saying it was getting close, i asked if they realy knew any thing about it,,they said GM wants chrysler finacial,jeep and the min van line,,,i say they want all of it to keep toyota from passing them and being the worlds biggest auto maker,,
even tho every things comes ful circle,,W.P chrysler got his start at GM,,straightening out olds or buck,, cant rememebr which,before starting his own,,company CHRYSLER, the dodge brothers if you read auto history were the driving force and the true inventors or the automated assembly line,,not henry ford as every one thinks,, dodge brothers worked for ford at that time,before starting DODGE,,imagine corvetts with a hemi,,

At the news on the television here in Sweden they talk about the financial
difficulties that GM and Ford has, nothing about Chrysler.
So its a little confusing to hear that Chrysler is for sale.

I can't see any domestic auto company absorbing Chrysler. GM is far too busy with it's problems to take on more.

I thought I heard the firm that owns half of gm was look at chrysler driven by incentive of gm giving up even more shares, see to me it sounds like gm wants to lean on the chrysler name while licking it's wounds for a while or it could have to do with the foreign car market, reminds me of the euro ???

wel i just read that mopar has lengthened its sponcership to the mopar mile high NHRA event in denver thru 2011,, if they were fro sale ,,i dont think they would be sticking there next out,,to spend major money on a drag race event,,,but mopar did cut there racing budjet 85% ,,oulled out of schumaker racing and put what ever budjet let over to the alan johnson prostock team for 2009,,,

Treasury Department rejects GM's call to finance Chrysler merger.
In a front-page story on its Business Day section, the New York Times (11/3, B1, Vlasic, Maynard) reports that "the Treasury Department has turned down a request by General Motors (GM) for up to $10 billion to help finance the automaker's possible merger with Chrysler, according to people close to the discussions." The Treasury Department told GM on Friday that "the Bush administration will now shift its focus to speeding up the $25 billion loan program for fuel-efficient vehicles approved by Congress in September and administered by the Energy Department." According to the Times, "Treasury officials were said to be reluctant to broaden the $700 billion financial rescue program to include industrial companies or to play a part in a GM-Chrysler merger that could cost tens of thousands of jobs."

The Wall Street Journal (11/3, Stoll, Bennett) notes that, "without government help, a merger 'absolutely does not get done,' one person familiar with the matter said." Meanwhile, "the United Auto Workers (UAW) union has so far said relatively little about a merger of General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC, but now appears set to emerge as a key player in the fate of any deal." The UAW "recently retained a former adviser to GM Chairman Rick Wagoner to help 'level the playing field' in any discussions about changes in its current contract that could be needed in a tie-up of the two automakers." That adviser, Stephen Girsky, a veteran auto-industry analyst who is president of private-equity firm Centerbridge Industrial Partners, "is expected to help UAW President Ron Gettelfinger evaluate the deal and shape the union's strategy." The Journal points out that, "even if the UAW doesn't need to approve the idling of plants and layoff of thousands of workers, Mr. Gettelfinger's approval could sway banks and lawmakers considering pitching into the deal."

-
Back