Going back to "Old School" exhaust.

-

MoparMuscleGuy

Still plays with cars.
Reaction score
Hello, I spent the day taking off the old exhaust system that was on the car when I bought it. Always hated it. The guy did such a beautiful job on the car and the exhaust system sucked. The hooker headers were old and leaked, and never fit right, but the rest of the system sounded Ok with the Flowmasters. The system hung too low because of the hooker headers and that drove me nuts. Well anyway, I'm going back to the OEM exhaust manifolds because the car is almost all stock and I know I will not have any problems with these. I haven't decided on the mufflers yet:read2:. I like Flowmaster, Magnaflo, and I have had great success with Thrush. Any opinions welcome on the mufflers. Remember it's a 318 with a few internal upgrades. As soon as I get the exhaust manifolds on, it's off to the shop for the rest of the system. I would do it myself but those darn pipe benders are a fortune.

***Question*** When taking off the Headers I had a couple of bolts leak antifreeze. I know this is not uncommon but what do you suggest I reseal the bolts with? I've always used just Permatex Anti-Seize. Any opinions welcome.

exhaust 1.jpg

exhaust 2.jpg

loc tite makes a good tread sealer.as far as mufflers go look up bullet exhaust.they offer a stainless turbo that sounds like a cross between a flowmaster and a thrush turbo.

I always used Permatex also. Never had any issues after the fact. I just got my exhaust replaced and the shop used Flowmasters. I also have Hooker headers, they hang low, but the Dynomax's I had on the car also did.The shop where I brought my car to was able to bend up the pipes so that they hug the undercarriage under the floor and they look fine now. The headers still hang low but the pipes are tucked up nice and high under the car.

loc tite makes a good tread sealer.as far as mufflers go look up bullet exhaust.they offer a stainless turbo that sounds like a cross between a flowmaster and a thrush turbo.

Thanks, and I'll check out the Bullet exhaust.

I always used Permatex also. Never had any issues after the fact. I just got my exhaust replaced and the shop used Flowmasters. I also have Hooker headers, they hang low, but the Dynomax's I had on the car also did.The shop where I brought my car to was able to bend up the pipes so that they hug the undercarriage under the floor and they look fine now. The headers still hang low but the pipes are tucked up nice and high under the car.

I too have always used Permatex, it's a great product. Thanks for your input.

I've got the OEM exhaust manifolds on now ready for the rest of the system. Someone had said, "What about a bolt on system?" Not a bad Idea. Who would make a great bolt on system for a 74 Dart Swinger, 318, factory exhaust manifolds? Do they even make one for this car? All opinions welcome.

Damn, those manifolds look familiar! I don't think a bolt on system is available unless you want a Y-pipe and a single pipe out the rear. A good local shop can bend you up what you need at a reasonable price.

My Duster is running a 318 with 2 1/4 pipes through Dynomax super turbos. Great sound at WOT but mellow when cruising. No drone, best turbo muffler I have run. Good price to boot!

Damn, those manifolds look familiar! I don't think a bolt on system is available unless you want a Y-pipe and a single pipe out the rear. A good local shop can bend you up what you need at a reasonable price.

My Duster is running a 318 with 2 1/4 pipes through Dynomax super turbos. Great sound at WOT but mellow when cruising. No drone, best turbo muffler I have run. Good price to boot!

Hey brother. The manifolds look sweet. I got a price of 275 for a custom bent sytem. I would have to purchase the mufflers and they will do the rest. The shop is supposed to be one of the best. I just thought they might have a bolt on system for my car. Thanks again for the manifolds. I will post pictures of the install once complete. Christopher

For a bolt on system I would order the TTI system.

Just give them your manifold casting numbers and what
car the system will go on.

I think they do either a "X" or "H" setup.

Mine is the "H"

Came with Dynomax mufflers.......I love the sound and I am using
cast iron manifolds also.

DSCF1964_Medium_.jpg

DSCF1965_Medium_.jpg

49.jpg

Cast Iron manifolds

DSCF2329_Medium_.jpg

TTI link

"H" pipe

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Exhaust-H/ExhaustSystems.htm

"X" pipe

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Exhaust-X/XhaustSystems.htm

When I bought my system it was $590.00 plus $94.60 for
freight for a total of $684.60

Some of the best money I spent on the restoration.

Here's how she sounds:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jaEu5O9zWU"]YouTube- 0622001853.3g2[/ame]

Wow, Thanks Tony. I didn't know that TTI did that. The car sounds sweet and looks great. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost? Did it fit ok. Thanks, Christopher.

Wow, Thanks Tony. I didn't know that TTI did that. The car sounds sweet and looks great. If you don't mind me asking, what was the cost? Did it fit ok. Thanks, Christopher.

When I bought my system it was $590.00 plus $94.60 for
freight for a total of $684.60

Some of the best money I spent on the restoration.

Eric at the speed shop said it was one of the best installs he's done.

Everything is included......heavy duty stuff

Had to go with a clockable mini starter and still had to mash the 2-1/2
pipe in a little. Maybe I should have them make me a 2 or 2-1/4 system.

maybe I missed it, but I didnt see anyone specify to use the RED ULTRA permatex. it's the high heat.

I ordered the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers today from Summit. They should be here by Monday and then I'll take the car in for the rest of the system.:cheers: MMG.

Glad to hear you went with something besides Flowmasters. They were great when they first came out, but (to me) all cars sound pretty-much the same with them. I put a set on my truck and turned out the exhaust in front of the rear wheels - big mistake - WAY to loud. I'm starting to like old-school glass-packs again, you don't hear that "WHAAA...pop..pop..POP!!" too much any more. Just re-living the glory days I guess. Turbos are always a good choice, kind of a classic sound.

Glad to hear you went with something besides Flowmasters. They were great when they first came out, but (to me) all cars sound pretty-much the same with them. I put a set on my truck and turned out the exhaust in front of the rear wheels - big mistake - WAY to loud. I'm starting to like old-school glass-packs again, you don't hear that "WHAAA...pop..pop..POP!!" too much any more. Just re-living the glory days I guess. Turbos are always a good choice, kind of a classic sound.

Thanks 4flats, I've heard good things from everyone here about the Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers. I think too it was a good choice for performance and cruising with the family. I can't wait to get them on the car next week. MMG:-D

Good for you I am also going with OEM manifolds, 1992 Dodge Dakota one year only exhaust manifolds 2 1/8 outlet (53006618 and 53006619)which are dyno proven to equal or outflow 340 manifolds. I have been a fan of headers for 35 years and have had enough of blown gaskets, bad fitting headers, burnt spark plug wires etc etc. I know I will be giving up 15 to 20 horsepower but I can make that up with nitrous.

If they are the diameter you want, I'd suggest re-using the tail pipes if possible. Save $s. The rest of what you took off looks like scrap yard fodder. I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Dynomax and if you go with a cross-over pipe.

what about accurate ltd? i thought they make stock systems? i dont think the year matters mauch between 67-76 the system shouldnt change much. thrush turbo mufflers are part of the same company as dynomax but they are made much cheaper. i like the dynomax. i make my own systems and have used flow tech terminators, magnaflow, dynomax super turbo and ultraflow, thrush turbo, and flowmasters. i hope to never use flowmasters again. for power its tuff to beat a straight through muffler like ultra flow or magnaflow. the super turbos make good power and sound pretty mellow.

Well, I finally had time to get the Dart in for its performance exhaust. My wife snapped a quick picture as I was leaving to drop of the car. It will be done tomorrow. P.S. I picked up this car hauler for 900.00 bucks last month. It's like brand new and came with a brand new winch.:love7::-D

I picked up my Dart on Saturday with the new exhaust. As mentioned before, I went back to the OEM exhaust manifolds and trashed the Hooker headers. I also decided to go with DynoMax Super turbo mufflers and trashed the Flowmaster 40's. The OEM exhaust manifolds went on easy, look great, and the plug wires have plenty of clearance:-D. The Dynomax Super Turbos tucked up really high with tons of ground clearance:-D. 2 1/4 inch pipe. The Dynomax Mufflers sound great, very quiet compared to the Flowmaster 40's, and has improved power in my opinion. The car is so quiet at speed, I can talk softly now to my wife:-D. While quiet, if you stomp the gas pedal, they still sound great. I decided to have the tail pipes exit straight out the back. I like the look as shown but may still add stainless tips. Overall I would rate the muffler system excellent:thumblef::thumblef::thumblef::thumblef::thumblef:.
MMG

-
Back