Going from Column shift to a center console shift.

-

TheCudaKid

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 67 273 auto car and was wanting to switch to a console shifter, i think it would make the car more disirable. i have the center console, the only thing that i need is information on cutting, tips and tricks, and any kits i can get to setup the linkage.
Thanks,
-George

Here's a thread for a similar install, including some issues that might occur. Some may be helpful, some not, but give you an idea what's involved,
Cheers

Last edited:
the absolute easiest and least frustrating way is to get ALL of the factory stuff and install it per the FSM. trying to scab in an aftermarket or modify a different year console with a combo of different year parts is only asking for either a poor finished product or hours upon hours of misery in trying to figure out how to make it all work together and look good.

taking the time to hunt down the stock bits and familiarize yourself with the components and how the system works and goes together will help immensely in undertaking this job.

the absolute easiest and least frustrating way is to get ALL of the factory stuff and install it per the FSM. trying to scab in an aftermarket or modify a different year console with a combo of different year parts is only asking for either a poor finished product or hours upon hours of misery in trying to figure out how to make it all work together and look good.

taking the time to hunt down the stock bits and familiarize yourself with the components and how the system works and goes together will help immensely in undertaking this job.
ok thankyou, looking like a bigger deal than I was expecting it to be.

oh, and i'd forgotten, you'll also need to change the collar on the steering column so that you have the proper one without the gear indicator and the mount for the gearshift.

when i see a floor shift car with that stuff still intact and not swapped over i immediately think that whoever did the work is either lazy, cheap or both; and if they didn't have enough care for that attention to detail or to spend the money on that then what else did they cheap out on or where else did they cut corners.

Only bother to do this if the result is desirable to you. Chasing money to do anything like this is a losing game. Enjoying your car is always a winner!

-
Back