Going rate?

-

rch105

Reaction score
What should I expect to pay for a used, bare 489 carrier and a Borg Warner Spin Resistant unit?

parts (1).JPG

parts (4).JPG

Borg Warner anti spin LSD shown is a friction tapered cone type. Non rebuildable. Unless you know its history, best to stay away. TBH your better off buying a rebuildable clutch type LSD from Dr Diff. Unless your playing Ricky Racer with drag slicks, no need for a 489 case unless you gotta have if for bragging rights. Most A bodies came with a 741 case. A 742 is most common. Both 741, and 742 cases are sufficient for most performance applications

You can buy a new aftermarket case for around $250-300

Borg Warner anti spin LSD shown is a friction tapered cone type. Non rebuildable. Unless you know its history, best to stay aways
I think @RustyRatRod might disagree with you on that

the cone type can indeed be serviced and rebuild, it just takes a little more hotrodding then the clutch style does

I think @RustyRatRod might disagree with you on that

the cone type can indeed be serviced and rebuild, it just takes a little more hotrodding then the clutch style does
Maybe so. I stick by my opinion. Pass. Ditto on the 489. You can find more common 742 prob cheaper. Will work fine for everything but an all out drag car with slicks.

The case - You can buy non-limited slip complete chucks for $200. A cone type Sure Grip I'd buy if the price was cheap enough. In that one's condition, I'd pass on. The problem is not they "can't be rebuilt". They can. Once, usually, and they are never "as strong" as when true new. Basically they'll work for a while, and it tends be a shorter while. The problem is that as they wear, they produce only metal particles that in turn go through the bearings and gears themselves. So the whole thing is junk once it's slipping. If you want to build a "489" case, buy a non-limited slip unit, add all new internals, and go have fun.

Parts are more available for the 489 case

Last edited:
Maybe so. I stick by my opinion. Pass. Ditto on the 489. You can find more common 742 prob cheaper. Will work fine for everything but an all out drag car with slicks.
Doesn't the 742 have larger bearing and it has a course spline input shaft. I would think it's stronger then a 489?

Last edited:
All of the sure grips interchange between all 3 3rd members. What does not enter change are the gears and the bearings. A489 case requires a crush sleeve in the pinion. This is a one time use part. I believe the 741 and 2 case Use shims to get the same result. For all out Drag Racing A489 case is fine It's not really necessary on a streetcar. Most if not all A bodies came with a 741 case Including big block cars.

489 case.. for the record if there's a will there's a way... As you can see this had a very no slip differential...
20151014_104921 (1).jpg

Thanks everyone for their opinions and inside info. I don't want this to sound unappreciated but all I wanted to know was simply, what is a fair price to pay? Is $400 for both reasonable in today's world? I realize everyone's use is different but I don't care about that. Thanks.

The Dr Diff Powr Lok diff is the one I have. It's a clutch type rebuildable differential. The price is pretty inexpensive for new. Screw those old Borg Warner cone type diffs. Unless they are new unused or in un abused low mileage condition, stay away.

See if you can score an entire C body rear axle then harvest the 3rd member out of it.

If you get a complete 3rd member with a good gear set already set up you can always add a posi to it. You won’t have to worry about measuring and setting the pinion depth.

Thanks everyone for their opinions and inside info. I don't want this to sound unappreciated but all I wanted to know was simply, what is a fair price to pay? Is $400 for both reasonable in today's world? I realize everyone's use is different but I don't care about that. Thanks.
To answer your question is "yes" if the LSD is in working order IMO. But as some of us have been saying you can get everything new for not much more that.

Is $400 for both reasonable in today's world?
OP, I don't think I'd give more then 250 for a good used cone carrier. Personally I'd want to open it inspect it for wear first. 400 for both in good or excellent used condition would not be bad IMO.

Some great info here regarding cone rework courtesy of RRR.........
How To Recondition a Sure Grip Cone

A489 case requires a crush sleeve in the pinion. This is a one time use part.
Well, not necessarily. This works for me...
Mopar 8 3/4" (8.75) 489 Case Crush Sleeve Eliminator

What does not enter change are the gears and the bearings.
Not that I recommend it, but there is an unconventional way to run a "742" R&P in a "489" case.

The usual 489 COMPLETE center sections seem to be priced from 500 and up when I trudge through the Mopar Nats and Carlisle. Best deal I ever got was $85 for a complete 3.23 489 SG in the last century. Saw it, bought it, no brainer. It's in my 68.

Ok, just because I'm bored witb this stay at home thing and really should get back to rebuilding my 1964 heater.
The 489 cone style became standard in A bodies starting in the 1969 model year. I have 2 1969 abody 8-3/4 rear ends and both are 489. One is a factory 3.91 SG that came in my 69 A56. The other is a 3.55 SG.

For Matt, the crush sleeve can be eliminated with a crush sleeve eliminator kit.

Technically the 489 is strongest because it has a larger nicely tapered 1-7/8" diameter pinion. Compare this to the smaller 1-3/4" stepped pinion in the 742. (stress riser) 741's are the weakest. Ehrenberg makes a case that a 489 is stronger than a Ford 9".
Really I'd probably prefer a 742 cause they are rebuildable clutch type, not wearable cones.

KosmicKuda, yes I did forget about the crush sleeve eliminator. I have a crush sleeve eliminator for an 8.8 i am rebuilding.

The limited slip will interchange into all 3 cases. What's different per each case is the R&P

-
Back