Going to look at a bike Sunday

-
No matter what you choose to buy and ride,

www.cheapcycleparts.com

is a pretty good resource for finding parts for the older cycles. I have used them in the past for different models with no problems. Good luck with hunt and keep the rubber side down.

LOL

Not trying to argue but...

You left out maintainence. Oil changes, tires, batteries, etc. Those will make up the difference really quickly. Especially if you ride a lot.

He also left out the initial cost of the bike.

That's like people who trade their paid off car for a new one that gets good gas mileage. Yeah, it gets better gas mileage, but you can buy a lot of gas for your old car with the same $18k.

1. TOTALLY disagree! And here's why, we'll figure gas at $4/gal
Bike Truck
45mpg and 4.5 gal tank 13mpg with a 26 gal tank
35miles a day m-f is 9100 miles per year, car or bike, doesnt matter which.
45.5 tanks/year @ $18/tank=$819 27.5 tanks/year @ $102/tank=$2805

gas savings = $1986/year, insurance should be aroun $50/month including life and tags/prop taxes probably around 5/month.

ins=600/year
registration/prop taxes= 60/year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tyNl9ap3BE"]Born Free 3 - YouTube[/ame]

I have the same commute, 25 miles each way so 350 miles per week but much of that is gridlock traffic on the freeway (interstates 8, 5 and 805). In California we can split lanes on our bikes so a 1hr 15min commute in my D100 is 25min for me on my bike (or 20min without traffic).

I ride a 2002 Gixxer 600 now which has a 4 gallon tank and I get about 150 miles to the tank but I fillup at 120-130 miles to be safe. So I put $12-14 in the tank every Monday and Wed/Thurs in my bike whereas in my D100 I spend $100 per week ($40 every other day because my gas gauge doesnt work).

Insurance on my D100 is $30 per month and CA registration is $158 per year.
For my 2002 Gixxer insurance is $170 per year and registration is $72 per year.
I sold my 1999 Harley Sportster 883 a few months back and the registration was the same as my Gixxer ($72) but insurance was $106 per year and GEICO kept lowering it.
On a bike this cheap (under $4,000) I don't carry full insurance. I could've scraped my Harley for $2,000 or $1,500 just for the title.

Before I got my Gixxer I was looking at getting an XS650 and hardtailing it. Make a little barhopper out of it. But I liked the power of my Sportster I'd converted it to a 1200 with a Wiseco piston kit and got a 3 angle valve job on the heads. But here's some info on the XS: http://www.xs650.com/

parts are found everywhere and are dirt cheap for the XS.
A guy in North Carolina is doing some pretty slick stuff with those engines.

xs650_hugh_xsotm_dec2011.jpg

I have over $6000 into my bike, and I ride it a couple of times a week. That works out to be about a couple hundred bucks every time my butt hits the seat!

-
Back