going to look at another Mopar 1972 Dart

-

avarageerod

Reaction score
Well, I'm going to look at another Mopar Sunday. Just wanted some opinions on the value.

Here's what he had to say about it in the ad

1972 Dodge Dart
318 Motor Elderbrock
Intake Holley Carb.
Fire Red paint stripes
Bumblebee stripes on rear
69 Roadrunner Hood
14 inch wheels
New Control arm, idle arms
New brake master cylinder
New Water pump
Has air shocks
Needs headliner and 1 brake caliper line

He told me on the phone that
the paint is 1.5 years old.
Body's straight
good BFG's on the ralleys
318/904 on column
He said no rust, I can't believe that
chrome is in good shape
non a/c car
has duals with new mufflers
interior is in good shape with one tear on rear seat
318 has been rebuilt with head work

He told me to make a offer. Any ideas what I should offer based on the pics and info?

3n03ma3l35T75P95R4a2ibbf560cbec2117e6.jpg

3ka3m03oc5T15P25S3a2i24d1cb985ed7103d.jpg

Touch call on price, given the nature of the economy today.

If I found no rust and the car was very mechanically sound, maybe $4500-5000.

He probably believes it's worth a lot more (to him it is --- he spent $$$) but I would be betting that he would have a hard time moving this car for more, in these economic conditions...

Lots of things to consider: quality of the bodywork / paint, the items you mentioned cost $$$ to fix, and the fact that people will not be beating his door down...

Just my thoughts...

when ever someone says "make an offer" I usually walk away or offer them half what I think its worth
you can always go up but it is much harder to go down so I would start at $1500-$1800 no higher than $2500 (but it looks like a nice car)

That's a sweet dart. I always like the seller to throw out the first number and work from there. He has a number in his head or he wouldn't be selling it.

If I get this I may get rid of another car and make this my daily driver. I wonder what kind of mileage I could expect from this car.

I saw that car too. It has been on there for a while( 2-3 months) so you should be able to negotiate.

It looks pretty good in the pics. minus the cheapy plastic chrome mirrors. Does it still have the stock 7 1/4 rear under it that a 318 auto. would have?

i hate "bumping" my own threads, but I'm going to look at this in the morning and want all the input I can get

I'm curious to know what you found once you saw it in person? If it had been for sale for 2-3 months, my gut feeling is that some major flaws that weren't obvious in the photos showed up when you went to see it.

I paid $3000 for my 72 a few years ago with the stock 318 and 904. That gave plenty of room for us to do the engine/rear swap and other stuff we wanted to do.

Give an update when you get a chance. Thanks!

I meant to update this and forgot. The guy wanted $4800 for the car. I couldn't find many places a magnet would stick. Bondo cracking off of it. Dash was rusted out and covered with a piece of carpet. Engine had a skip. Pulled two plug wires and it made no differance. Wireing was hacked. The guy told me to make a offer, so I offered $1500, he said he turned down $4200. So I told him he was a fool for turning that down. He didn't have much to say after that. It was fun to go look at it though.

-
Back