Going to manual from power steering

-

340fourspeedDuster

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 1975 Duster that was originally a 4 speed 318 car.
The body is getting down to metal for a new paint job.
Interior, engine, trans are out of the vehicle.
I am installing fiberglass front and back bumpers to help the old gal lose some weight.
The engine being installed is a 1969 340 with a mild VooDoo cam, ceramic coated Hooker headers.
My question is I am contemplating going with a 16:1 ratio manual steering box from a power steering setup.
Vehicle seemed to always have a power steering belt screech at high rpm.
From what I research, the factory manual box is 24:1.
I would like to hear from folks that have this box and how they like it.
Other than the $$, good, bad and any surprises.
This car will be a weekend driver.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 10355380_737526826333650_3805099962916678971_n.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 152
I am curious as well... I am going to put a 383 in my 68 B'cuda ragtop (one of these years) and am considering the same power for standard steering swap.

I have a 16:1 Flaming river steering box in my Duster. I also have 275/35/18 front tires, so the steering effort below 5mph is pretty significant. Above 5-10mph it's awesome, good steering response and the steering effort isn't too heavy. It's a much better feeling than the overboosted stock power steering, although there are ways to address that too. I'm not a big fan of parallel parking, but other than that I love it. And if you're front tires aren't going to be 275's it won't be nearly as much of an issue. ;)

The stock power steering ratio is 16:1, so if you do go with a regular stock manual box at 24:1 you're adding turns lock-lock. I think it's almost an additional 2 turns, the 16:1 boxes are ~3 1/2 turns lock to lock and the 24:1 boxes are ~5 1/2.

If you do switch from power to manual you either need to swap the steering shaft or get an adaptor, the manual steering box requires a longer steering shaft and has a different size end and spline count vs the power steering.

-
Back