Going with DOT 5 fluid, what do I need to do?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
So i've been told switching over to DOT5, you have to drain the complete brake system, disc/drum sbp, and then flush the system with something. What should I flush it with? Thanks

bought a 1978 dodge that has been upgraded to DOT 5 fluid, you'll love DOT 5, its been 10 years since I bought it and the lines still look like new its had the fluid in it since I got it (who knows how long before I bought it) fluid is a purple in color

been running dot 5 since 2006 and i have had no issues at all. have friends that have been running it 10 years before that and they have no issues. if your worried about moisture then bleed the brakes once or twice a year. they say if moisture does get it it will settle in the wheel cyl and calibers...

i flushed my lines out with the purest alcohol i could find..

should do that with dot 3 and 4 also..

I do it will all my cars, they all get the yearly brake bleed, that way if I need to open up the system to replace a line I don't end up doing a caliper or wheel cylinder unexpectedly

use ATE super blue, so as you bleed the brakes you know the old stuff is all out when it bleeds out blue.

then switch to ATE amber or another amber colored brand a year or two from now, do the reverse.

I do it will all my cars, they all get the yearly brake bleed, that way if I need to open up the system to replace a line I don't end up doing a caliper or wheel cylinder unexpectedly

didn't mean you didn't do it. was kinda just adding to what you said..

didn't mean you didn't do it. was kinda just adding to what you said..

also adding to what you said, if a person doesn't bleed/flush there brakes yearly when it comes time for opening the system it ends up costing more then brake fluid

Thanks for all the reply's, it helps many of us. My reasoning for thinking about switching is I understand DOT5 does not hurt the paint if the cover leaks. My firewall is destroyed under the MC by an old drip.

can you mix 3 and 5 or does system need to be completely dry?

You shouldn't mix the two, but if you do by accident, it won't kill you. You will need to flush the system out, however.

I usually drain the master and then the rest of the system. Bench bleed the master into a seperate cup until it comes out purple. I then bleed out the system until it is coming out purple and call it done. Done it for years without problems.

Thanks for all the reply's, it helps many of us. My reasoning for thinking about switching is I understand DOT5 does not hurt the paint if the cover leaks. My firewall is destroyed under the MC by an old drip.

thats what I am told that is part of the benifits is it won't harm paint, I dont have any paint peeling and I did spill a drip on the at the time newly painted master cylinder

-
Back