Gojo and the windshield gasket

-
Reaction score
1964/65 Barracuda

I have read that using Gojo will soften the rubber on these gaskets. So I went to Napa to buy a small bottle and see. As it turned out, because I chose to get the bottle without the pumice, and not read the bottle, I ended up using Napa brand.

The gasket is softer. Much cleaner......but....leaves black on my hands when I touch it.

Once I realized I used the wrong stuff....I went back and bought Gojo. Does it matter which Gojo is used. I bought the plastic tub as opposed to the squeeze bottle.

Any advise is appreciated. I think I would prefer to just get a new one, but I believe that the new one won't fit as well as the old. Any truth to this?

Also, I want to use the plastic color strip that fits into the inside of the gasket. Do the new ones have a cut for this?

Dave

You can try brake fluid too. The black stuff is actually the outer surface of the rubber that is destroyed by the elements. Back in the day we would add a cap full of brake fluid to powersteering and transmissions to soften the seals to help stop leaks. Worked every time! You can't do it to newer transmissions due to a change in the seal materials.

No i got mine from firestone and they are GREAT its not worth the B/S of f@#$^& around with the old one and break the glass for a $90.00 bucks Paul

I've cleaned and reused window gaskets without a problem. The black commig off it is normal. Thats partially the remnants of the butyl sealant that was used and the pigment in the rubber.
Rubber doesn't run out of a rubber tree already black. If you rub a new gasket, or a new car tire, whatever, with GoJo or similar cleanser you'll pull off some carbon black pigment.
No mater what you use to clean the gasket, rinse and rinse, and rinse.
Clean and dry is more important than soft.
I've handled one reproduction gasket that I considered too dang flemsy. I can't recall who made it. I'm no structural engineer but there has to be a point where the rubber is too soft to properly support and suspend the weight of the glass in the opening.

Thank you all for your responses.

For me, not buying a new one is not about saving money. I'm a stickler for perfection. I want the gasket to fit, look right, and most importantly not leak.

I have never seen a new gasket, so I don't know......are they exact replicas?

No i got mine from firestone and they are GREAT its not worth the B/S of f@#$^& around with the old one and break the glass for a $90.00 bucks Paul

66S......how close to the original is your new gasket?

No mater what you use to clean the gasket, rinse and rinse, and rinse.
Clean and dry is more important than soft.

I didn't think about rinsing!! (Embarrassed to admit.)

Thanks,
Dave

nothing a matter with re using the original as long as its not split or deteriorated but thats the norm for a 40 year old + car . the nice thing about the original is that it has retained the shape of the windshield so your not fighting the fit of the gasket on the pinchweld . whether your using a new gasket or old dont wipe anything like gojo or brake fluid or any other chemical on the gasket , it can discolor the gasket over time & dry it out as well , soak the gasket in very hot water & some mild dish soap for about an hour & keep the gaket lubed during install with glass cleaner (sprayaway works nice) . another prep trick for the actual windshield is to get some 120 grit sandpaper(for glass only) & wrap it around a sanding block & hold it at about 35 degrees at the edge of the glass & sand the edge of the windshield on both sides . this will reduce the chance of breakage during install . Just go slow , have an xtra pair of hands & youll be fine . (worked over 25 yrs w glass hope this helps)

-
Back