Gonna Install New Front Windshield

-

1974DartSport

Reaction score
My son comes in tomorrow from summer school. Smart kid just made an A in Calculus IV.

Before the Fall semester begins, we are going to install a brand new front windshield. We have a new gasket and a new lockstrip. Can anybody with experience installing the front windshield on a 74 Dart Sport give me pointers on what else I need - ie. what kind of windshield sealant, how much to put on, do you put it in the gasket's groove or on the pinch welds around the windshield or both.

The car does have a new vinyl top already installed. Should it be trimmed or just let it overlap into the windshield channel a little? We have no windshield experience.

My son comes in tomorrow from summer school. Smart kid just made an A in Calculus IV.

Before the Fall semester begins, we are going to install a brand new front windshield. We have a new gasket and a new lockstrip. Can anybody with experience installing the front windshield on a 74 Dart Sport give me pointers on what else I need - ie. what kind of windshield sealant, how much to put on, do you put it in the gasket's groove or on the pinch welds around the windshield or both.

The car does have a new vinyl top already installed. Should it be trimmed or just let it overlap into the windshield channel a little? We have no windshield experience.

Pics Please? of the gasket & lockstrip also...........

I'm trying not to remember when I did mine....
3M window weld on both the seal to car and seal to window.
Seal goes on the car first and the windshield gets "set" into it starting at the bottom. One of the tricky parts is that the window is a little tall for the seal so you will need to "hit" the glass into place.......OPEN PALM with kind of a downward motion to get it to sit all of the way in at the top.
Oh, yeah and it has to be fairly quick as the sealant will start to set if you take to long....no pressure right? :(
Don't worry about the sealant getting on the glass or the paint, it will peal/rub right off when it dries. BUT don't get that crap on your hands or clothes, it WONT come off.

I use the black butyl rubber sealant to install the gasket on the car.
Then I use common beading and glazing compound between gasket and glass.
You'll find 2 large tangs stamped out of the cowl that are meant to locate the gasket. The factory left openings behind those tangs. Cover those openings with any thin sheetmetal you can find. Aluminum flashing stock will work. Pop rivets will hold them in place. All we are trying to do is provide something for the butyl sealant to sit on in these spots. Prevents future leaks.

You'll find 2 large tangs stamped out of the cowl that are meant to locate the gasket. The factory left openings behind those tangs. Cover those openings with any thin sheetmetal you can find. Aluminum flashing stock will work. Pop rivets will hold them in place. All we are trying to do is provide something for the butyl sealant to sit on in these spots. Prevents future leaks.

I always wondered why those cowl openings were there. If I cover them with sheetmetal, does it negatively affect anything? I like the idea of filling in the openings if it will prevent future leaks.

Thanks for everybody's help. I'll post pictures of the gasket, lockstrip, and my new "Chrysler logo" windshield later. I picked up the windshield for $199.95 at this really fantastic warehouse north of Atlanta in May. The salesman tried to return my nickel change, and I asked if he kept it, could I get the nickel tour of his warehouse. He showed my son and I around. Man that place had a lot of Mopar repops.

-
Back