good 318 combo

-
IMo, that's the wrong way to go. You cant make a decision knowing nothing about hwat's coming. That's how projects never get finished. There are ways to save cash during the build but you have to know what you can spend.

Domed pistons are heavy.Stay away from them if possible. They have thier plce but not in a street motor. Moper is right.You should pull the engine apart and take it to the machine shop. Then you can start ordering parts.

Unles you plan on doing it shadetree..

BTW,KB 167 pistons are only a couple hundred $ and generally a much better choice than the stock replacements,so if you cant find a machinist who will offset grind your crank for the same or close to it as a normal regrind just get the KB's. They will put you right on target for 9- 9.5:1.

Domed pistons are heavy.Stay away from them if possible. They have thier plce but not in a street motor.

The domed KB399 hypers that I have in my 318 weigh 541 grams, which if I remember correctly is at least 50 grams lighter than the stock pistons, but, to back up needsaresto, the KB167 flat tops come in at 507.

There is a difference, but it isn't huge between these two pistons. When I had my crank balanced, the machinist had to take a LOT of weight off of the counterweights on the crank. I used the KB399 pistons and Eagle SIR rods.

Heres my opinion.

KB167 pistons
Voodoo 403 cam
Eagle I beams

i didnt look at the rebuild kit, but typically, if you got that, youd still want different head gaskets and such.

heads, have them milled 20 thous. this will raise your compression a little and still not innerfear with the valves.

you can have the KB set for 0 or add a mopar thin head gasket. From the sounds of what you want, you want the voodoo 403! remember the lifters as well.

I was going your route as well, but changed my mind. I have a comp extreame 262, and preformer intakes. My new plan is the voodoo 403 and the Eddys. with the parts listed above.

I didnt really do my research at first, and jumped into what ever anyone told me. i wasted some money, but i learned the hard way. Do your research! decide what you really want! then buy. what type of HP are you looking for?

oh and forget about the 318 stroker build. Its a waste and unproven. If you go stroker, 408 is the way. This is comming from a 318 guy. The 318 stroker is to much money with not enough results. its cool to do, if you can, but in todays economy, who has the money to waste.
\
318's can scream! just do the research! and youll be happy

The domed KB399 hypers that I have in my 318 weigh 541 grams, which if I remember correctly is at least 50 grams lighter than the stock pistons, but, to back up needsaresto, the KB167 flat tops come in at 507.

There is a difference, but it isn't huge between these two pistons. When I had my crank balanced, the machinist had to take a LOT of weight off of the counterweights on the crank. I used the KB399 pistons and Eagle SIR rods.

True but lighter is always better when it comes to pistons as long as integrity is not sacrificed. The total difference between the domed and KB's is 272 grams.This is 9.6 ounces or 3/4 of a pound! It also means mallory metal is less likely to be needed during balancing.

-
Back