Good deal - Really good deal?

-

73cuda

Reaction score
I found a 1971 Dodge Demon 340 car (original sassy grass green) w/ numbers matching 340 motor/tranny/8.75 posi. Automatic (floor console) buckets & rally gauges/rims. The car is pretty much complete but needs quarter patches, trunk and some floor work. Some rust on roof & 1 side of trunk channel lip.
Inteerior is decent but needs to be redone along w/ motor, etc.
It's a project - but it's also $3,000.

I'm selling my '73 Barracuda project to get into this car.
I'm just wondering how good a deal this really is from the A-body guys.
I know ebodies & their values but not up on the Abody muscle cars.
Any input would be great...I want to get back to the guy in a day or two.
Thanks again for any input (i have no pix)

I give it a thumbs up...for one primary reason.....
This car would be in the top 5% of A bodies in the desireability order. If you can clear enough from your 73 Cuda (great cars, but not in the top of the order) to buy and start or restore the A body, then you are now own one of the more desireable, valuable A bodies out there. I am in no way dissing the Cuda, but its not a 70-71 which hold much more value. As such, you can be "top dog" in A body circle, or cast off (so to speak, with no malice intended) in the E body circle.

I have A body in sig, and a 70 Challenger, and the Dart is going to be my focus, because I can build a PREMIUM A body and still have change left over if I sell the Challenger, and restore the Dart.
My personal opinion.....

That is an INCREDIBLE deal..........I'm looking at the same thing right now in Plum Crazy for nearly 8 grand........

If you don't take it, we're gonna wonder what you've been smokin'........8)

Thanks for the quick feedback...I guess this confirms what I kind of thought.
I'll probably hit the bank up till the 'Cuda sells to secure this one or he actually may hold it w/ a good deposit as he's just down the road....

I guess any 340 car is gold these days!

The Only Thing That Would Make It A Better Deal Would Be For It To Have Had A 4-speed. I Would Jump On It.
If You Dont Want It Will Buy It.

Man, I gave away a 1972 'Cuda 340/4spd when I moved to Texas in 1994. Because I purchased the car already apart and I was already shipping my '68 GTX, I could not swing the added cost of shipping the 'Cuda. I kick myself each and every day for having done such a bonehead thing. However, my black-and-blue *** is now somewhat ameliorated since I recently got hold of a '68 Barracuda. I would easily spring $3k for a '71 Demon, especially with an 8.75. Good luck with it.

That is an INCREDIBLE deal..........I'm looking at the same thing right now in Plum Crazy for nearly 8 grand........

If you don't take it, we're gonna wonder what you've been smokin'........8)

The Only Thing That Would Make It A Better Deal Would Be For It To Have Had A 4-speed. I Would Jump On It.
If You Dont Want It Will Buy It.

If i were you I'd snatch it up as fast as i could
ME TOO!

I know if I had a chance to buy it I would. Even thou it may need work,and being numbers matching is a damn good deal. Buy it and restore it to ORIGINAL. Don't butcher it up for a drag car,that is what 6 cylinders and 318 cars are meant for.

John

With the console auto and therefore buckets and rallye guages you've the most sought after package out there and for 3K it's a steal. Fully restored that car is going for 30K today and if the economy wasn't in the crapper 40K. It would probably appraise for 40-45K (restored) up hear in Canada.

Terry

Thanks guys for all the feedback..looks like a no-brainer.
I'm going to head over there tonight & put a deposit down once I confirm it's a real deal.

Couple more questions - is the VIN # on the body panels in the same places as my ebody? (Radiator support, inside trunk lip, up on cowl)
He also said he never looked for the build sheet & I notice the front seat covers are screwed on -- I assume it's right in there?

There are headers on the car, so I want to confirm the motor/tranny are #'s match, too- then it's a go.

I have 2 and they're both on the block now I guess.

1973 Barracuda (318/904) New quarters, trunk.
No rust good grill, fenders. Needs to be finished.
Have a 440/727, too
$7500

1967 Barracuda convertible (225/auto)
This needs body work (quarters, outer rockers, one spot on front frame rail)
I have extra fenders, too. The interior is in very good condition.
This car has ALL original owner documentation (rcpts,window sticker, certicard, fender/vin tags, first registration, sales slip, etc)
Ordered in silver w/ blue metallic stripe, white interior w/ blue trim)
$5000/BO

I'll get pix up later today for both cars..
Once one of these cars goes - my wife won't leave me with this Demon deal :)

The 67 was going to be my a-body focus but as I'm learning more about the Dusters/Demons - I see the value in this sassy grass 340 car down the road...

Any questions - let me know.
508.733.9464 (cell)

Couple more questions - is the VIN # on the body panels in the same places as my ebody? (Radiator support, inside trunk lip, up on cowl)
He also said he never looked for the build sheet & I notice the front seat covers are screwed on -- I assume it's right in there?

VIN on a Demon would be on the rad support and package tray between speaker hole and window. No vin on trunk lips on Demons that I've ever seen.

If it's an LA built car you might not find a broadcast sheet.

Nice score....congrat's, and don't separate the drivetrain unless you plan on tucking the original away for safe keeping while you build a motor to beat on.

67 ragtop & rolling 73 hardtop

S7301080.JPG

S7301081.JPG

S7301024.JPG

S7301027.JPG

S7301029.JPG

DSCF0899.JPG

Hey, I had been admiring you 73 cuda on craigslist! I kept telling everyone if I had the money I would certainly buy it. I love that body, with those tail lights. Good luck!

hey 73 cuda,that demon is the real thing. dont worry about finding the #s.i looked at it last week. it can be saved.but get ready to do a awful lot of welding. hopefully by the time you get to the floors they will make a full floor pan. if it was FJ5 it would already be in my garage.
good luck

Limelite70 - thanks for that info.
I didn't get a chance to crawl around it as I only had a few minutes & it was pushed into a corner. I'm going back w/ a flashlight & hopefully jack it up.
I'll assume the worst but hope the frame rails & torsion bar mounts are decent :)

Make sure to take pictures and post them for the congregation here.:-D

-
Back